No announcement yet.

GS650GL '81 clutch slips @ high load/high RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mic the steels and they are always withing specs. Test them for square on a piece of glass to make sure they are straight. With the 650 you have a clutch over designed for the bike since it is plenty large enough to handle the engine. But the wrong oil will contaminate the fibers. Mobile1 changed their formula somehow so I switched to RotellaT and it seems to be OK
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
      Pay attention and write this down, which way your steels come out of the clutch basket; there is a flat cut side and a rounded side!
      What does that affect? I've never heard a warning about that before. I thought it was just an artifact of the stamping process.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

As a industrial machine mechanic for over a decade, it was my habit, and it seems just good practice to re-install parts in the same position and order. ie don't flip over, don't mix up the order, etc. And, thanks for the reminder, it's a good point. A Sharpie marker can be good to mark parts. We all know how memory fades after a month with the bike apart...or a week...or a day...or an hour...

"Now where did that go?" "Does this go in first, or...that?" LOL

I may have gotten the 'drive' and 'driven terms from the gears, but you've answered my Q about just changing the fiber plates, if the metal ones are within spec, and scuffing the metals.

Comment

new springs fixed my slipper....like 8 bucks.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
          X