I am having problem with my 1982 GS550LZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having problem with my 1982 GS550LZ

I need some help with my 1982 GS550LZ. it is all in the wiring. as of last night all my ground connectors are hot and the bike does not turn over. when i first got the bike i was blowing my main fuse. now that is done. i hope. i look through all the wire on the bike. can someone give me some help.

Starter relay switch, clutch safety switch, solenoid? That should just about cover it. Greetings, by the way and if he hasn't already caught up with you, Basscliff will give you the fourm welcome of a life time.

Comment

where are this at? starter relay switch, clutch safety switch, solenoid is this the stater solenoid. if so that is good, but the cable going to the stater is Neg(-) on it.

Comment

Any connector that is getting warm is telling you that it is not making good connection. Clean or replace the connectors.

Bike not turning over:
        1. Make sure the battery is fully charged.
        2. Check ALL the fuses for continuity. It's not good enough to look at them, measure them or use a test light on both ends.
        3. If you have a test light, verify power at one of the large terminals on the starter solenoid. It will be the one connected to the battery.
        4. With the key ON, pull the clutch lever and press the starter button, see if the other terminal on the starter solenoid becomes energized. If it does, and you still don't have starter action, it's either the starter or the connection of the cable to the starter.

Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1982GS550LZ View Post
          where are this at? starter relay switch, clutch safety switch, solenoid is this the stater solenoid. if so that is good, but the cable going to the stater is Neg(-) on it.
          Starter relay switch? Not sure what he's talking about there.

Clutch safety switch? It's under the clutch lever pivot, and requires you to pull the clutch lever to engage the starter.

Solenoid? Yes, this is the starter solenoid, usually under the left side cover, mounted to the battery box.

Starter cable? Look again. From the battery + terminal will be a large wire that goes to one of the terminals on the solenoid. There is another large wire on the solenoid that goes to the starter. This is NOT a negative cable. It will show a +12 volts when the starter button is pushed and the solenoid activates to energize the starter. The starter is grounded to the engine cases, which are, in turn, connected back to the battery with another large wire.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X