Need help with GS550 intake boot orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with GS550 intake boot orientation

I took the intake boots off of my girlfriends 81 GS550 last night to install new o-rings. However, I put them back on today and they do not line up with the carbs now. After wrestling with the carbs for about 30 minutes, I finally got them to slide in and the two boots on the right (as you sit on the bike) line up with the carbs, but the ones on the left are about 1/4" to 1/2" off-center.

Can someone help me with the orientation of these boots?

There should be some screws in the side of the carb boot that plug the holes used when synchronizing the carbs. On my 850 these point down and away from the bike. I assume it should be similar on the 550.

HTH
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I've just replaced mine and when they are on correctly there should be a L marked on top of the two left ones and a R on top of the two right ones.
      Though they may be difficult to see if the boots are old or discoloured.
      GS1000G

Comment

I had this problem as well and I assume you have the boots without the vacuum screws. First of all find the markings for the boots, they will be marked with an R and L for left and right. The final part is determining which is top and which is bottom. Fit #4 boot which should be marked "R" so that the round opening facing the carbs is perpendicular to the ground, then #3 etc. If you are finished and hold the flat side of a ruler over the rubber openings they should all line up, if not turn the one that is out around.

Those with the vacuum screws are easy, just fit with screw at the lowest point.

Comment

Working...
        X