What would you do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with this?

Charging system is dead. Realized this after having bike for three weeks (GS850GLZ) when bike quit on me. Bump starting and trying not to stop got me close to home.
    I had already read stator papers so tested bike and ordered new stator and R/R. I don't think I'm going to get them before the weekend.
    Since the bike went for three weeks before battery died, would I be ok just putting old parts back on and riding for weekend?
    Would I ruin the gasket if it was used for a couple of days then taken off again?

Am I being too impatient?

With the cost of gas up here I can feel your need to ride but patience grasshopper. You likely won't make anything worse but why take a chance. In my experience, when you override your little voices....you end up in more trouble and likely further from home when it hits.

Get it running and charging right before you head out. If you go with things not sorted you won't be at peace anyway and you'll be waiting for something to happen. You won't enjoy the ride. Trust me. Bin there done that.

Patience is a virtue afterall.

Good luck with that project and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers from Hamilton.
    Spyug

PS Welcome aboard!

Comment

its a good point...

not much fun riding with the fear of it either dying on you far from home, or when you go out to get back on and say a little prayer hoping it starts again. Been there, done that. Seems from my experience that the distance you can go without a charging system decreases over time. I once carried a spare battery with me so I could still ride before fixing it.

If you get your parts, the complete swap out doesn't take much time at all. Worst case is you may do your battery in or significantly shorten its life running it down....

Comment

I've been riding with my Battery Tender in the left saddlebag and a 50' extension cord in the right I got all the parts I needed yesterday, I was supposed to go do it tonight but my buddy with the garage just bailed on me. so I'm out of luck.

It sucks, I REALLY want to get this worked on!

Comment

Working...
        X