77 suzuki gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 suzuki gs550

I have a problem with my 1977 suzuki gs550, its my first bike so im still a little new to it. It had sat for a couple months before i bought it and when i start it it starts up nicely with the choke on but once it warms up the idle shoots up to about 3000-4000, if i give it some gas it just dies also if i try to adjust the choke it dies too. I am almost positive it is the carbs, is there something else that could be causing that? if it is the carbs, does it make sense to just spend the extra money to have them rebuild rather than just cleaned since i dont want them to tell me that they need to take the carbs out again to rebuild them since cleaning didnt work and charge me the labor all over again

SOunds like a carb problem to me. Although you could have an air leak somewhere. With the bike being that old, I would definately suggest a complete rebuild on carbs. BassCliff has a good d-i-y carb rebuild page, so if you're remotely mechanically inclined you should be able to rebuild them yourself. Look around this site for one of his mega-welcomes and find the link there. You should probably replace any o-rings and boots that may need it while you're at it.

Comment

Pretty sure it's a fuel issue. First check is the airbox - is it fitted and tight and is there a filter in there?

Next check is the o rings fitted on the cylinder head inlet manifolds ('rubbers') - probably old and cracked / flat and letting gulps of air in. Dead cheap and easy to replace and excellent service from Robert Barr, one of the members here (BassCliff will no doubt welcome you soon and he lists the contact details).

If that fails to sort it your problem could be a blocked pilot system. Again, easy job - full instructions on this site. Strip the carbs yourself - I'd never trust a bike shop to do it properly nowadays I'm afraid.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

definately carbs. my spidey-sense tells me pilot circuits!

Comment

Working...
        X