No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you rather do?

rebuild the top end and spend several hundred dollars only to find out that it still wont start when you re-assemble it

or

find out the problems of the constant spark, check the valves, and get it to run?

personally, i would choose the second choice.

btw: welcome to the forums! (my smilies dont seem to be smiling)

Comment

File your points then reset them.
      And when you say bell mouth, do you mean there is no airbox? Just snorkels?
      If you don't have an airbox or pods, something to provide resistance to the air, it probably won't start without a lot of help.
      So now I am guessing that you just have velocity stacks (snorkels to me) and if you cover it with your hand, it gets covered with gas, right?
      If you set the petcock to prime, does fuel come out of the jets or the overflow?
      I am curious about your points and the status of your floats-petcock-airbox setup.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
        (my smilies dont seem to be smiling)
        You need alternate smilies.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

haven't checked points yet...first thing in the a.m. The bike has a Dyna III digital ignition system...I've been going over the installation manual to make sure the thing has been installed correctly. There's a lot of screwy solder points and some wires have been splice and joined that just don't look like they should be.

Siezed rings was the brunt of the no-run issue. Soaking over night in atf helped. She fired up with minimal effort today, but is not running well as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

Siezed rings was the brunt of the no-run issue. Soaking over night in atf helped. She fired up with minimal effort today, but is not running well as of yet.
            You are still going to rebuild it, I hope. Reasons 2 through 6 are still valid.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just saw a new post on the board that might have some impact here.

READ THIS

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

well the points are in pretty bad shape...where ever they are. The dyna ignition system replaced them.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                  The dyna ignition system replaced them.
                  Oooohhh ... DYNA.

This seems to be first mention of non-stock ignition.

Might try to contact Dyna to see if there are some troubleshooting procedures for the system.

Last edited by Steve; 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I guess I will reask about the airbox, Do you have one? Do you have pods? Do you have velocity stacks?
                    That will affect how it starts, check the valves like directed and that could stop the blow back.

Comment

sorry clone...airbox is not on the bike and yeah, it does effect how it starts. I have to choke the air off...I'll address this later when my pods and jets come in.

I finally got her to start up and run, though rough. She's not firing on the #1 and #4. I'm trying to figure that one out. I think she'll even idle after I get that sorted.

Comment

if it's one and 4 then it could be a bad coil. check the resistance on the coil. should be 3 ohms as i recall.

getting it running and idiling without an airbox/pods is going to be a counterintuitive effort, though... as soon as you put an airbox/pods ON the bike, it's going to completly change the profile and you are gonna be mega rich.

Comment

I'm using restrictor plates, but yeah I know it's going to change.

It's the third coil I've tried but I'll be testing it.

Comment

I don't think it's a coil issue...all of my coils test identical resistance and are over 4ohms.

Comment

could just be concidence then.. i know i had 2 and 1 not firing before i got all my air system into rights.. i had to replace the head boot o-rings and seal the airbox, then i found that they had been ultra lean from the leaks and had not been firing. small carb ajustment later, and they were fine.

Comment

when the motor was cold my 77 750 had 100, 50, 110, 75... or something like that, it wasnt good. Put a bit of oil in the cylinders and they all went up a bit, the bike runs friggin awesome and starts up easier than my brand new truck, I wonder how hard it would pull with good compression.

Comment

Working...
                                X