dreaded clutch problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dreaded clutch problem.

hi To You All. Was Knocked Off My Bike A Month Ago. The Clutch Cable Was The Last Thing I Had To Fix, New One Replaced, And Set Up As Manual Said., But It Will Not Work. Cant Get It Topull Clutch In Far Enough To Disengauge, Have Adjusted It At Lever & Arm, To Their Full Extent. Still No Joy. Have Change Bars To Drag Ones, There Is Aslight Bigger Curve In Cable But No Bends. Could It Be The Clutch Its Self Or The Springs?????? Bike Was Ok Before I Was Knocked Off. It Fell On The Left Hand Side And Smashed The Gen. Cover. The Bike Is A Gs750 Monoshocked Frame With A Gs1000 Engine. Hope Some One Can Point Me In The Right Direction. Thanks Guys.

Have you loosened the pinch bolt on the "cam" lever (lower clutch lever) and rotated it a spline or two, clockwise? It may have been bent in the accident.

Comment

What year engine?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ENGINE IS A 1979. had a rebore and gas flowed etc/

Comment

I go with Dave on this. Make sure the tooth drive inside is properly located, take the lever off the top & rotate it round a bit on the splines & try again.
          It is possible to have it in the proper place (or appearing to be) but the splined rod is in the wrong place when you seated it. You have to make sure it's turned all the way to where it just starts to put pressure on the clutch then fit the arm.

You'll get there.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If the engine is bored and built for more power you might have to run heavy duty clutch springs.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

dreaded clutch

I Tried All The Things Mentioned But Still No Joy????? Bike Is Off To Repair Shop On Monday Thanks For Your Help Guys. Great Site. Will Let You Know The Outcome Cheers.
              Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              i Go With Dave On This. Make Sure The Tooth Drive Inside Is Properly Located, Take The Lever Off The Top & Rotate It Round A Bit On The Splines & Try Again.
              It Is Possible To Have It In The Proper Place (or Appearing To Be) But The Splined Rod Is In The Wrong Place When You Seated It. You Have To Make Sure It's Turned All The Way To Where It Just Starts To Put Pressure On The Clutch Then Fit The Arm.

You'll Get There.

Dan

Comment

Dreaded Clutch Problem

Hi Guys. Clutch Is Now Sorted. It Had A Bent Cam???? New One Fitted. I Have The Chance To Get A Set Of Good Cv Carbs. Are They Better Than The Slide Ones Which I Have On The Bike Now. Are They A Straight Swop??:-)

Comment

Cam = actuator rod? = the shaft you put the lever on

Without knowing more about your Cv carbs, can't really say if they'll swap

In general (using a GS1000 as an example) - the early models have 26mm slide carbs, the later ones have 32mm CVs that require a different "big port" head. No real performance gain, tho
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

different ports at the head for vm vs cv carbs, i dont think cv carbs would fit your engine
                    yup, a bit easier to set cv carbs (in stock configuration)
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                      Have you loosened the pinch bolt on the "cam" lever (lower clutch lever) and rotated it a spline or two, clockwise? It may have been bent in the accident.
                      Originally posted by samuria View Post
                      Hi Guys. Clutch Is Now Sorted. It Had A Bent Cam???? New One Fitted. I Have The Chance To Get A Set Of Good Cv Carbs. Are They Better Than The Slide Ones Which I Have On The Bike Now. Are They A Straight Swop??:-)
                      Good call!

Comment

Working...
                      X