Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO LIGHTS....HELP!!

I need some help fellow GS?ers

The Bike: 1979 GS850 with Pacifico Shadow Classic fairing ( combined turn signals / running lights) and an add on unit that turns rear turn signals into t.s/running lights. Both of these added by original owner.

The Problem: Went out on a 20 mile ride with the wife. Stopped at KFC to eat. Everything working fine. Come out to leave, bike fires right up. Go to pull out of parking lot- NO TURN SIGNALS then realize NO HEADLIGHT, TAILLIGHTS, OR RUNNING LIGHTS 8O . Brake lights and gear indicator lights working fine :? . Checked fuses, they looked good. Beat feet home before sun sets ( illegal to ride even in daytime without lights on in NY). After we get home realize that when I put the brake light on the rear turn signals light up also ? which they shouldn?t probably feeding back thru the add on unit.

Anyone have an idea WHY I lost the lights? As a lot of us know, electrical problems can be the worst to correct so any help I can get will be appreciated. I have tomorrow and Tuesday morning to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

I'd start checking the pigtail that connects to the fairing. I may have disconnected or be loose somewhere.

Terry

Comment

I have one of those tail light integrators, and it converts the rear turnsignals into both running lights and auxiliary brake lights.
      I agree with Terry, it sounds like possibly a bad connection, both the light switch and turnsignal switch go through the same plug, under the right (as you are sitting on it) side of the fuel tank directly over the engine, the heat from the engine causes this plug to rot and break up causing all kinds of problems.
      check this plug, this will most likely be where you are having the problem at.

Comment

NO LIGHTS....HELP

Thanks Tery and Leon

I'll check that out in the morning. I'll keep you updated on what I find.

If anyone else thinks of any possibilities pass them along .

Scott

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well I finally got to the electrical problem on my 850.
          It turned out to be the fuse after all.

The thing looked good, but when I pulled it out the one end cap just felloff

Just goes to show- Don't assume anything and don't forget to check the little things.

Scott

Comment

Working...
          X