Fuel mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel mileage

What kind of fuel economy can I expect when cruising on my box stock, 83 GS1100 ES? I just rebuilt the the carbs and the bike runs fine, but I seem to be getting about 30mpg. It's been so long since I payed any attention that I don't remember if I ever did better than that.

I had an '80 GS 1100, stock (except for 2 fewer teeth on the rear sproket)for about 75,000 miles. It was good for around 45-50 MPG ridden conservativley.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbtrask View Post
      What kind of fuel economy can I expect when cruising on my box stock, 83 GS1100 ES? I just rebuilt the the carbs and the bike runs fine, but I seem to be getting about 30mpg. It's been so long since I payed any attention that I don't remember if I ever did better than that.
      My 82 1100E gets close to 50mpg (Imperial gallons) if ridden gently and it has pods and a 4-1 Kerker exhaust.

Mark

Comment

As is always stated in these threads, your right hand, the one on the throttle has as much to do with mileage as anything.

Comment

My '83 GS1100ES with pods and SuperTrapp 4 into 1 exhaust gets between 46-48 mpg (US).

Comment

My 1000G gets about 25 MPG US combined city and highway. I'm a little rich, pulling the carbs apart (again) to drop the main jet this weekend, but even tweaked I'm only expecting MAYBE low 30's. A "riding easy around town" shift for me is 6000 and I'll run it to 8000 or even redline coming down an onramp to the interstate or just having fun on it. It doesn't take many "Man look at this straightaway and not a car in sight" runs up to 90 or 95 shifting at redline to drop that mileage right on down there.

Comment

1983 GS1100GK heavy usually gets between 40 and 44 MPG. depends on if I am riding the hills or flat lands

Comment

82 Katana 1000 with K&N pods (properly jetted - mind you) and a 4-1 pipe gets me 45-ish MPG, seemingly regardless of throttle position.

84 Katana 750 with pods and stock exhaust (not quite jetted yet) still gives me 35-ish MPG.

Seems like your numbers are a bit low.....

Comment

TheCafeKid went along with us on a little jaunt to West Virginia over Memorial Day weekend.
                  It was only 1025 miles, but his mileage for the trip averaged 43.45, with a high of 47.68 on one tank.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Damn.... my 1000G is heavy, but maybe I am even richer than I thought. Sunday is total carb tear down, new internal o-rings, replace torn diaphragm, replace two slide springs that are crapped out. Maybe I'll see a bigger improvement than I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      My 1000G gets about 25 MPG US combined city and highway. I'm a little rich, pulling the carbs apart (again) to drop the main jet this weekend, but even tweaked I'm only expecting MAYBE low 30's. A "riding easy around town" shift for me is 6000 and I'll run it to 8000 or even redline coming down an onramp to the interstate or just having fun on it. It doesn't take many "Man look at this straightaway and not a car in sight" runs up to 90 or 95 shifting at redline to drop that mileage right on down there.
                      I'm a strong believer in "use or lose it", but my 1100G can easily shift up at 3k rpm without bogging and pull easily on off ramps down to 2k without downshifting. So other than "because I can" why do you consistently run yours to 6k and redline (8500)? Is it because you're a "little rich" and have money to burn? lol

Comment

Second Look

I went back and tweeked the mixture screws using a newly acquired Colortune and resynced the carbs last weekend. Rode about 250 miles on Sunday and fuel consumption improved markedly. As I orginally posted getting around 30 mpg, now about 45 mpg (when riding in a "spirited" manner). Makes a big difference what with the price of fuel these days, and the fact that gas stations are sometimes few and far between on some of my favorite rides here in California.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

We missed you

Hi Mr. johnbtrask,

Where were you yesterday (Sunday)? Pretty much all the So. Cal. GS riders were riding Angeles Crest Highway. Mr. J_C got it all started with this thread. Didn't you get the memo/email/notice? :-)

Or was that you who rode past when we were all under the shade tree on Big T Canyon Road?

We'll make sure you know about it the next time we get together. It was a very large day.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbtrask View Post
                            I went back and tweeked the mixture screws using a newly acquired Colortune and resynced the carbs last weekend. Rode about 250 miles on Sunday and fuel consumption improved markedly. As I orginally posted getting around 30 mpg, now about 45 mpg (when riding in a "spirited" manner). Makes a big difference what with the price of fuel these days, and the fact that gas stations are sometimes few and far between on some of my favorite rides here in California.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tell me more about the tweeking. I got about 150 miles on my last tank (no reserve) I swear I use to get 200.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Tell me more about the tweeking. I got about 150 miles on my last tank (no reserve) I swear I use to get 200.
                              It's when you sleep on Thursdays.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X