Steering head bearing seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering head bearing seal

I just removed the two steering stem bearings from my GS1000 and have obtained replacement bearings from our engineering supplier, but see there is a seal on the original lower bearing and the newer ones do not have it. Is this seal important? I could not see it on the parts list either?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2008, 04:32 AM.

GS1000G 1980 bearings

To date I found that the lower steering stem bearing is a 32006 which comes without a rubber seal on one side. I should actually have a 32006RS where RS means rubber seal one side.
    I have just pulled the swingarm and the same here. I need two tapered roller bearings 3203RS.
    I thought these seals were seperate.

Just some feed back for others. With the bike on the center stand the steering movement was smooth, no problem. With the front wheel off, still smooth. Once I had the forks, handlebars, etc off and only the triple trees left, the steering felt and sounded harsh and noisy. After pulling the bearings they were dry with some very little 30 year old grease on the edges and everything a coppery colour with rust on the roller cages. The same for the swingarm bearings. So just a tip, if they feel OK and have never been greased or replaced in 30 years rather change them. It also seems as if many other makes of bikes use the same bearings

Here are the bearing sizes if you want to buy non OEM parts:
    GS1000G 1980
    1 X Tapered roller bearing 32005X (top of stem, no rubber seal)
    25mm x 47mm x 15mm
    1 X Tapered roller bearing 32006RS (bottom of stem, rubber seal one side)
    55mm x 30mm x 17mm
    2 X Tapered roller bearing 30203RS (Swingarm, rubber seal one end)
    17mm x 40mm x 13.250mm

Comment

coincidence...

came to the very same conclussion the other day when i had the forks off 8O

will have to attend to these sooner rather than later :sad:

btw, i imagine it'd be better to use sealed bearings whenever there's no provision for greasing them (such as in the head stem)

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
      With the bike on the center stand the steering movement was smooth, no problem. With the front wheel off, still smooth. Once I had the forks, handlebars, etc off and only the triple trees left, the steering felt and sounded harsh and noisy.
      GS850GT

Comment

I had no luck in the UK sourcing the sealed swinging arm bearings for my GS650 - though I was after a smaller bearing (30202RS)
        I have tried countless suppliers and apparently they are not made any more.
        If anyone knows of a supplier in the US then please tell me for future reference.
        I ended up putting plain bearings in my GS650 and greasing them when ever possible.
        GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
          I had no luck in the UK sourcing the sealed swinging arm bearings for my GS650 - though I was after a smaller bearing (30202RS)
          I have tried countless suppliers and apparently they are not made any more.
          If anyone knows of a supplier in the US then please tell me for future reference.
          I ended up putting plain bearings in my GS650 and greasing them when ever possible.
          It seems as if later machinery that use the same bearing rather use a seperate seal than the one sided rubber seal fitted on the bearing. Most likely it was not too successfull or too expensive to manufacture.
          My steering stem seal is messed up, but the swingarm ones are still OK. I may have to see if I can re-use them on the new bearings.
          Just for interest it seems like other makes of bikes use similar bearings, maybe this opens the likely hood of getting an OEM for another bike? OEM Suzuki in the USA = $52 for swingarm, and $50 for steering stem without shipping!!!
          Keep well.

Comment

I have run into the same situation with the 650 swingarm bearings, best I could find and even these I haven't verified are from alphasports for 38.12
            http://www.alpha-sports.com/spart.ph...er=09265-15003 . Bikebandit has them for 35 apiece. I ended up regreasing and jamming them back in. It seems like you may be able to get cheap chinese bearings without the seal but I don't think I want to take apart and grease every 1000 miles or so.

If you can find a reasonably priced quality bearing with seal, please post, I am in need of two at least.

Comment

If you need any special bearings, seals ? Check with www.AllBallsRacing.com

Comment

Working...
              X