Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering head stem bearing, how much heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering head stem bearing, how much heat?

Hallo!
    How much do I dear heat up the lower stem bearing with a blowtorch, can it be destroyed by too much heat or can I go for redhot? Have had so much help from reading this forum, can´t thank all of You Guys enough!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!! (O=
    My bike is a -82 gs 550

are you fitting it or removing it? if you are fitting a new one then forget a blow torch as it will not do it any good at all. pop the steering stem in the fridge, at least a few hours, warm the bearing either in the oven or on a metal plate on the hob. you will find it will just slide on no problem. leave it allto return to room temperature and there you go..........job done
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      pop the steering stem in the fridge, at least a few hours, warm the bearing either in the oven or on a metal plate on the hob.
      You mean that you have room in the fridge for the stem? Gee'zz I'de like to see the look on my wife's face when she opened the fridge for a gallon of milk and poured up a steering stem, instead!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        You mean that you have room in the fridge for the stem? Gee'zz I'de like to see the look on my wife's face when she opened the fridge for a gallon of milk and poured up a steering stem, instead!
        you must have a very small fridge then mate, what about the freezer?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          you must have a very small fridge then mate, what about the freezer?
          Big firdge...but almost always full. Now the freezer, there's room in there for the whole frame!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            Big firdge...but almost always full. Now the freezer, there's room in there for the whole frame!!!
            good man haahaa
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

If you mean the lower bearing that is mounted on the frame, then you need a big freezer. And that would not work because you would want to freeze the bearing and heat the frame.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                If you mean the lower bearing that is mounted on the frame, then you need a big freezer. And that would not work because you would want to freeze the bearing and heat the frame.
                i think he means fitting the bearing to the steering stem, not the frame
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi!
                  Thanx very much for swift replies! Yes I´m fitting new bearings, & will go for the freezer/hotplate method! I´m sure it´ll work, too! Wonder what life was like for GS owners in the pre"thegsresources" age..... (O=

Comment

Working...
                  X