Can't figure this out... (Turn Signals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure this out... (Turn Signals)

I was just riding last week when I found out that my turn signals spontaneously stopped functioning on my GS850. I had taken the small compartment out behind the battery to review my insurance information that day so I double checked to see that I didn't create any frayed or shorted wires when I put it back. Everything seems to check out fine.

All other functions of the electrical system seem to work fine, headlight, brake light, ignition... everything. No turn signals.

When I eventually got the bike back home the turn signals started working again, so I never minded the issue.

Today, it seems that they went down for the count. I can't find any frays or shorts. What's going on here?

The manual seems to indicate that a corroded ground wire could be the issue, but I am not sure that's true. I'll check that tomorrow when it stops raining outside.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Hi Mr. DarkOnyx,

Intermittent electrical issues are the most trying. Check and clean all (bullet, molex) connections and grounds, maybe replace a few with blade connectors. Check for continuity (that's just a fancy word for making sure the wire itself has no breaks inside the insulation). Then perhaps take a close look at the flasher unit (turn signal relay). Let's hope it's not the turn signal control unit ($$$). Do you have a manual with the testing procedure? 850 manual is on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I have a manual with the testing procedure, but it'll take careful studying before I can really do a thorough job with it. I am hoping that it's a corroded ground wire or a short.

In spite of curiosity, what is a blade connector?

Thanks for the advice, I will go through all of that tomorrow.

Comment

pictures! Woohoo!

MALE BLADE CONNECTOR

FEMALE BLADE CONNECTORS

Comment

Originally posted by Narcoleptic_Snowman View Post
          MALE BLADE CONNECTOR

FEMALE BLADE CONNECTORS
          Thanks Snowman. Rats. I was hoping that this would be an easy fix. I got at it a bit just now and found out it's not a ground cable corrosion issue nor is it a fuse issue.

I am running out of the easy answers. Charging the battery now according to the testing procedure in the manual.

Comment

goooood luck. I'm having my own wiring issues with my brake light... Wiring is my least favorite thing on any motor vehicle. I'd rather rebuild an entire engine that work on wiring...

Comment

Originally posted by Narcoleptic_Snowman View Post
              goooood luck. I'm having my own wiring issues with my brake light... Wiring is my least favorite thing on any motor vehicle. I'd rather rebuild an entire engine that work on wiring...
              I hear you on that. Uggggh.... electrical problems... what a mess.

Comment

I had problems with the turn signals on my bike a while back ('76 GS750) it turned out that the 30 year old turn signal relay was toast. I picked up a generic 12V automotive signal relay from Canadian Tire for like $10, works fine.

Comment

And yes, new blade connectors are the way to go, I've been replacing every bullet connector I see with them. It's nearly impossible to troubleshoot electrical problems when you have old, corroded connections everywhere.

Comment

My GS850GN was having the same issue. The turn signal control box for my year of bike costs around 250-305 USD new. Another rider on this forum gave me an alternate way of utilizing the turn signals without buying a new box. After some working through it, it worked without issue (and is still working now). Here is the link to that post.

Comment

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
                      My GS850GN was having the same issue. The turn signal control box for my year of bike costs around 250-305 USD new. Another rider on this forum gave me an alternate way of utilizing the turn signals without buying a new box. After some working through it, it worked without issue (and is still working now). Here is the link to that post.
                      What is the "Turn signal control box"? I can't seem to get a good picture of it. Is it those plates just beneath the battery? If so... mine is BADLY corroded.

Comment

Bah, the photo is upside-down. The box is beneath the battery box.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2008, 05:42 PM.

Comment

That's a regulator.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                            I had problems with the turn signals on my bike a while back ('76 GS750) it turned out that the 30 year old turn signal relay was toast. I picked up a generic 12V automotive signal relay from Canadian Tire for like $10, works fine.
                            That sounds like my next plan. Anybody know where I can find the turn signal relay on a GS850 so that I can replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkOnyx View Post
                              That sounds like my next plan. Anybody know where I can find the turn signal relay on a GS850 so that I can replace it?
                              Ahhh wait I see it. It's on the right side of the battery cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X