Question involving tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question involving tires.

Is it a problem to run tires of different brands/tread-patterns on the front/rear?

Short answer, no.
    Slightly longer answer, it might handle a little better with a matched set of tires, but unmatched isn't "bad"

Comment

I've been mixing front and rear tires for 22 years on GS bikes. Right now my GK sports a Dunlop Elite II on the rear and a Shinko (Korean made, works well) on the front.

As long as each tire is the correct size and type, and is in good shape with a decent amount of tread, you're OK.

Enjoy the bike more and worry less.

Comment

The fact is that Today's tires are so much improved over the OEM tires that came on them ,almost any modern tires mismatched or not are a big improvement.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Im currently running a Shinko Streetshark on the back, and a Michellin Commander on the front...not even so much as an odd vibration. Some of the "tonup" guys actually prefer to run different tires front and back. Some of the SERIOUS guys who run vintage track, will mix and match for handling in the front and straight line grip/handling in the back. On of the favs is Avon Roadrider Racing series in the back, and a Venom X or the like in the front...

Comment

I'll let you know later today. Had matching Battlax. Just got a new Sport Demon put on the rear this morning. Battlax still on the front.

Comment

One caveat is that an ancient front tire is no good whether it matches or not. As long as both tires are also of reasonably recent manufacture (3 years tops IMHO), you'll be fine.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Tires are cheap, why fvck around with retarded combinations?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Tires are cheap, why fvck around with retarded combinations?
                  Simple: Because I'm a cheap old bastard.

Comment

Working...
                  X