Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750E valve clearances

What are they? Can't find them. Thanks

They are (in millimeters) .03 to .08. Anywhere in that range is acceptable. Truth be told, you can even go on the loose side when changing your shims, say the clearance is .04 or .05, throw the next size up in there, taking your clearance to .09 or .10 Its ok to be a little loose, as they TIGHTEN with age. I would not recommend going any looser than say .12 for risk of floating a shim out of the bucket at high RPM.

Comment

Would these numbers hold for the 79 GS750L? I am guessing it's the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
        Would these numbers hold for the 79 GS750L? I am guessing it's the same engine.
        Yes. Actually these numbers apply to ALL of the 8v motors, no matter the displacement

Comment

I would have preferred answer with a simple "thanks" to show my appreciation for providing me with this information, however the forum only allows for a minimum ten character post.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            They are (in millimeters) .03 to .08. Anywhere in that range is acceptable. Truth be told, you can even go on the loose side when changing your shims, say the clearance is .04 or .05, throw the next size up in there, taking your clearance to .09 or .10 Its ok to be a little loose, as they TIGHTEN with age. I would not recommend going any looser than say .12 for risk of floating a shim out of the bucket at high RPM.
            Re-reading this, it occured to me i may have been a bit confusing...

Say your measurement is .04. Acceptable, but soon enough you're going to have to change it. If the current shim size is a 2.70, you could put a 2.65 (actually SMALL not UP) and take it to a end clearance of .09mm...hope that clears it up a bit.. .

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              I would have preferred answer with a simple "thanks" to show my appreciation for providing me with this information, however the forum only allows for a minimum ten character post.
              Thanks....

Comment

Their is a complete How Too on BikeCliff's web site

Comment

Working...
                X