1980 GS1100LT Top end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100LT Top end rebuild

Hello to all. First I want to say that this site and the knowledge I gained from it is priceless!!! Thank you to all. I went for a ride today stopped for a bit and noticed oil leaking around the front of headgasket. So needless to say it looks like i am doing a top end rebuild. my question is there anything special I should be looking for? I have done this before on a 1982 kz1000ltd many years ago.Clymers says it can be done with engine in frame. Do you all recomend that?

It can be done in the frame, before you tear it apart make sure it is not just the cam cover gasket leaking or the chain tensioner both can blow oil onto the front of the motor

Comment

Rebuild? or just a new head gasket? How bad is the leak? Don't forget about the two front inside bolts with the o-ring that can fail. I'm dealing with that right now.

Comment

It can be done with the engine in the frame. Make sure, as stated earlier, that it is not a tach gear seal or the valve cover gasket.
        I have the same bike and can help you alot with anything. I've had mine torn down a time or two.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i am almost positive it is a head gasket,,getting a leak right at the front bolt on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by sj67 View Post
            i am almost positive it is a head gasket,,getting a leak right at the front bolt on the head.
            I'd still check the stuff Chef suggested before you take off the head. That front bolt is almost right under the notoriously leaky tach sender. Everyone's gotta replace that gasket eventaully, but if your leak is the tach sender, you can at wait till winter for the head rebuild.

Comment

If it's running down a bolt between the cylinders (where the air flows) there are o-rings in the head on the two front inner head bolts. There are also copper washers that Suzuki calls gaskets under the head bolts.
              Got a pic?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

also...

make sure all the head holding nuts are properly torqued
                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                X