Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83GS550E Pilot Air Jet/Small Round Main Jet???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83GS550E Pilot Air Jet/Small Round Main Jet???????

I'm confused, the pilot air jets the factory manual states i need are #145
    however when i looked online for them suzuki is discontinued, and these things do not exist on anyone's site, the ones available are sized as 1.0 mm, i ordered the latter however my bike still won't idle steadly. The old ones i took out were marked #150, these however are listed online as " small round main jets ", i did find the #145 small round main jets but is this what is suppossed to be in these carbs as the pilot air jets as stock? i'm confused, any help would be greatly appreciated!

The pilot jets are 35s
    The main jet is 102.5
    What happened to the stock pilot jets? They don't wear out.
    If you need some check out motorcyclecarbs.com or sudco.com
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the help chef but the ones i am talking about are in the front of the carb they are the pilot "air" jets, the PO did a hack job on teh inside of these carbs and i rebuilt them teh right way with this forums advice to the stock settings since i am running the stock air box, aire filter and stock exhuast. So the last thing is the PILOT AIR JETS, the PO had put #150 and the factory manual calls for #145 however no site online has a #145 listed for air jets, air jets are sized in mm, since the manual calls for #145 iw as wondering if the " small round main jets " are the ones that are supposed to be used for air jets in the front of the carb for the idle circuit now you can see why i'm confused, any clarification would bring this amazing bike back to life!!

Comment

Chef i looked at mortorcyclecarbs.com they are sized in mm, the guy was no help. Sudco had them in #145 HOWEVER they were for BS42/55 CV, mine are BSW30SS mikuni's. Would they work? thanks again.

Comment

Not wanting to throw monkey wrench into this but have you tuned pilot screws to highest maximum idle and synchronized carbs? How is the fuel level for carbs? Any on these could affect your poor idling.

I am in a similar situation where my carbs have differing air jets than stock settings. I am not sure that they may not have come from factory that way. Likewise, the throttle butterflies are also non stock by number yet show no evidence of PO tampering.

Do a thorough clean and tune, see if they will work. Good luck.

Comment

Believe me I know what a pilot air jet is.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I apologize if i offened anyone with my last post clearly this forums members have more experience than i do, it is only that these numbers don't make sense and mislead anyone to be confused about what is suppossed to be in there, HOWEVER i came across a honda website where an older mikuni used SMALL ROUND MAIN JETS as MAIN PILOT AIR JETS, while on other carbs they are used as gasoline pilot jets, As such i believe that that is why i can't find this part listed as an air jet specificly. I am going to order the SMALL ROUND MAIN JET because the main pilot air jets i pulled out of my carb look more like these except they are #150 and not #145 that is called for in the factory manual. For all those in the same boat i will keep you posted when they arrive to see if they fit. Thank you again to all for your help.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hi waterman, in prior threads i outlined the extensive by the book procedure i went through ( as per forum's advice ) on my carb rebuild, i was meticulous in my rebuilding and have since syncronized them which helped, and still waiting on the colortune to finalize the mixture but because it is a chore to get it idle consistently i think my putting in the wrong air jet may be the cause. As for your throttle bodies double check that your carb model number calls for that particular throttle butterfly number if it does not the PO may have gone through a lot of trouble to change them, or the carbs may not be stock or from a different year bike. I never removed my butterfly's they were correct, just dipped the carbs. My PO had changed every jet in my carb but left everything else stock so it was pouring fuel into the cylinders and would never have run right. I have ordered a new petcock as insurance against future problems as well doesn't hurt to have the peace of mind. Thanks again everyone for all your advice i really apreciate it.

Comment

Hey chef i just clicked on that link you posted so you are saying that this is the one that i need? i was just confused because it did not say BS30 it was listed as B42 so i thought these were for a different carb. Thank you for your help Chef.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
                    Hey chef i just clicked on that link you posted so you are saying that this is the one that i need? i was just confused because it did not say BS30 it was listed as B42 so i thought these were for a different carb. Thank you for your help Chef.
                    That's the one.
                    The only reason I said "believe me" is that I went round and round with those suckers too.

Comment

I sincerely cannot thank you enough for all your help, being new to riding and to this bike i wanted to do the right thing and not hack it up with all the wrong mods after everyone has taken the time to help me. I'm ordering them right away and will post a progress as soon as i get them in, hopefully by the end of this week. Thank you again for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X