last prob (clutch)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last prob (clutch)!

OK, one more problem now till i take this thing for a spin for its first rde in 6 years...
    Engine runs great, but my clutch isn't working. It worked fine when it was ast driven, it will go into all the gears etc. but even if i qork the clutch by hand it just doesnt seem to engage....
    I removed a flowery-shaped screw, with a spring on it when I pulled the motor. I am wondering if this screw is a clutch adjuster of some sort? I dont know why i pulled it off, but I did..argh...
    Any ideas? OH, 79 GS850 BTW...
    Will

Do you have any kind of manual for your bike? If not, BassCliff has one on his website that you can download and save.

The only place I know that there is a spring in the clutch line is at the clutch release lever. If you did not remove the clutch cover, the lever should still be OK. The cable needs to be connected to the lever, then fed through the guide and adjusted to where there is just a little play at the clutch lever.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does your clutch look like this? Is the doo-hickey in the pic?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

got my problem solved, thanks guys! Super handy having a laptop in the shop haha...
        Tinkered with it and now we're ready to roll...just gotta put the lights, seat, tank on for good and take this thing for a roll....I bought it for 400, put 450 into it and have a 100 percent working bike for 850..not bad!

Comment

What fixed it? Maybe you can help someone in the future.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

playing around with the adjustment of the clutch cable where it screws on the clutch itself...moved it out a few teeth and then it seemed fine. Work good, feels good.

Comment

also, where is the flasher on this thing for my signals?

Comment

TS flasher should be behind the left side cover, the turnsignal control box is under the right side cover attached to the battery box. Most people with the 78-79 auto turn signals end up converting to manual signals

Comment

Working...
                X