Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch issue again

Hi all,
    got some time to work on the 82 1100EZ so I fired it up for fun. Bike on center stand, fires up no problem.

I previously had an issue with the clutch where when it was put into 1st the rear would rotate and the rear break would not stop the wheel. It would kill the engine if pressed hard enough. I took it apart and scrubbed the plated and soaked the fiber plates. Put it all back together and problem went away (also put in new springs while I was at it) and yes, all plates and fibers were well within spec.

So I go and put it into 1st and the same problem is back.

Should I just get new fibers? I'm using the proper oil too (meant for motorcycles). I also adjusted the cable as much as possible to see if it would disengage but no luck

Thanks

Steve
    Austin, TX

Are you riding it beyond the garage?
    Sounds like a simple clutch cable adjustment and get out and ride it!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

not yet unfortunately. It still has some major issues. My gas tank is a 1 gallon red plastic tank to start. I have to rebuild the forks and front breaks.

I did adjust the cable as far as I could with no change to the issue. Just acts like the clutch is never disengaged

Comment

Originally posted by windex View Post
        not yet unfortunately. It still has some major issues. My gas tank is a 1 gallon red plastic tank to start. I have to rebuild the forks and front breaks.

I did adjust the cable as far as I could with no change to the issue. Just acts like the clutch is never disengaged
        You either have the wrong clutch cable or the lever on the clutch cover is off a tooth.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

this is a picture from the last clutch rebuild. In my first thread about this clutch I posted pics and all said all the components looked really good. I'm guessing it's the same issue or the cable is streached or bad

Comment

These are very simple clutch designs. If all the fibers are in spec, the steels are good and the clutch springs are good the only other possibility is it has the wrong cable (for it to be too tight), the lever is off a tooth or it needs to be taken out and flogged HARD!!

Comment

I don;t disagree. I think it needs a good flogging personally. Last time I did this it needed to be "broke" a time or two before it came to act normal. The cable is the original one.

Comment

You are making it too difficult.
                The plates tend to stick together when they haven't been used in a while.
                Get the engine running, roll forward and put it in gear, then while holding the clutch lever in, crack the throttle on and off while riding around in first gear, the plates will free up.

Clutches need to be run just like the rest of the bike.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

will do once I can actually ride it around

thanks for the advice all

Comment

Working...
                  X