82 GS 1100E refurb??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 1100E refurb??

I am wondering which late model triple trees and swingarms will modify to fit my 82 GS 1100E? I want to replace both in order to fit larger tires on it. Also what can I do to really make this thing go? I had the carbs redone and it seems to run pretty well, but it seems slugish......any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

If you want to go fast see my mods below.
    Couldn't say on the triple tree.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      I am wondering which late model triple trees and swingarms will modify to fit my 82 GS 1100E? I want to replace both in order to fit larger tires on it. Also what can I do to really make this thing go? I had the carbs redone and it seems to run pretty well, but it seems slugish......any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
      Look in this thread:

and search on "gsxr" in the performance forum, there are many threads about refitting newer forks and swingarms.

As for the engine, there is still very good aftermarket support for the big 1100 engine and it is used as the foundation for most of the pro stock drag bikes out there. You need to define sluggish a bit better, I would not call a strong running 1100E sluggish at all. It is not as fast as current bikes, but not slow by any means.

Depending on how much more you want, it could be simply flat slide carbs and a 4-1 pipe or it could be a complete overhaul with a big displacement increase, hot cams, ported head, etc. It all depends on your goals and size of your wallet.

Mark

Comment

Thanks...yeah maybe sluggish was the wrong choice of words. The bike was given to me by a friend and I feel it is my duty as an avid sport biker to resurrect it with some late model features. It has a 4 into 1 vance Hines exhaust, but it leaks around the seals. I am getting ready to remove the motor to have the frame powder coated and thought it would be a good time to do some engine mods.

Thanks for all your info!!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          Thanks...yeah maybe sluggish was the wrong choice of words. The bike was given to me by a friend and I feel it is my duty as an avid sport biker to resurrect it with some late model features. It has a 4 into 1 vance Hines exhaust, but it leaks around the seals. I am getting ready to remove the motor to have the frame powder coated and thought it would be a good time to do some engine mods.

Thanks for all your info!!

Joe
          Well, a good first step in more power is a 4-1 exhaust (you've got that covered), 36mm flat slide carbs and stage 1 cams.

APE offers lots of options for hop up kits, cams and carbs for the big GS:

I have looked at it and carbs, cams, exhaust and a 1097cc kit will net close to 130rwhp when properly tuned, with tons of torque while running on pump gas. That is what I eventually plan for my 82 1100E, it should be a great street combo with lots of torque, power and no reliability issues.

Mark

Comment

APE is the one stop shopping place for your GS!!
            BigJay is a member and the owner. He stops in here from time to time.
            I consider myself lucky because I'm driving distance from them.
            I'd go with the Wiseco 1168 kit. The biggest bore job without resleeving. I run an oil cooler with no issues.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X