Gapping my points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gapping my points

I have a meter that you can supposedly used to gap or set points. Do any of you know how to use one of these? I believe it is called a dwell meter. I know you are supposed to hook it up to the coil but that is about it? I am not even sure where to hook it up on the coil. Do you have to have the engine running? Any help here would be great!

Thanks!

Rick
    79 GS 750L

I've always set point gap with a feeler guage.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

.35mm is the spec on my GS1000, at the highest part of the lobe.
      Have you downloaded your free shop manual yet?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have the downloaded version and the clymers.

So are you saying skip the dwell meter---just gap them with a feeler gauge?

Then use a timing light?

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Always works for me. Don't think the dwell is as critical as it is in a car trying to make six or eight sparks every couple revolutions. The bikes always seem to work if it's anything close.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So you just use a basic timing light---like the kind you get at auto parts stores on online?

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                So you just use a basic timing light---like the kind you get at auto parts stores on online?
                Yep! I've had a Craftsman for around twenty years! Hook it to #1 plug wire.

Comment

Thanks you guys!!!!!!

Comment

I don't remember if the dwell meter will read either 90 or 180 deg As said it is not critical. Timing light is fine if you have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X