Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petcock Rebuild--lining up diaphram how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Rebuild--lining up diaphram how?

Hi,
    Let me start by saying: Yes I wish I would have spent the $80 to buy a new petcock. But, I don't have the money so I bought the rebuild kit. No need to say "I told you so."

My problem is that I didn't pay close enough attn to how the new rubber diaphram was suppose to line up with the plastic piece, and how those pieces, once fitted, line up with the two metal parts of the petcock. I 've searched the parts fiche and there aren't enough details to be helpful. I've tried different combinations, but I can't get good enough flow at the "ON" position.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Lyle

did you have a look at this diagram?
    you can expand it further, seems detailed
    GS850GT

Comment

Line the little hole in the diaphram to the little hole in the petcock Then put the cover on in the proper orentation for the vacuum line.

Comment

I have a petcock that came off my 1000, actually I have two.. one is rebuilt. It was leaking but I just replaced a very bad Oring in it so it "should" be ok now. I bought a new one so I@m not fitting it & have no way to test.

Let me know if you are interested in it V cheap (a beer plus postage should do it ;o) ). You can have all the other bits for the other one too if you want them....

Here's some pics... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEUS:IT&ih=003

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Line the little hole in the diaphram to the little hole in the petcock Then put the cover on in the proper orentation for the vacuum line.

When I line the hole in the diaphram up with the hole in the spacer, and then line them up with the hole in the petcock, it dribbles like a puppy. When the diaphram and spacer holes are moved to a different spot, it doesn't leak but I don't I only get vacuum flow from RES. Isn't that a bit odd?

Cheers,
          Lyle

Comment

I just had mine apart for cleaning, Mine is assembled that way Works fine - no leaks.
            This is why we always sugest replacement rather than repair. Without knowing the condition of the metal inside the petcock , it's a crap shoot

Comment

Working...
            X