Power Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Issues

I have a 1982 GS 650G shaft drive with a little over 28K mi. I had the carbs professionally sync'd, and when I took the bike out for the first time after the tech sync'd them it ran great. In fact the best since I bought the bike last summer.

It sat for a couple of weeks, and then it wouldn't start--I got it to start after a while and inadvertently flooded the engine. After I got it started I took it for a spin around the block, and it did not run properly at all, every time I came to a stop the bike would stall outright, and I would have to jam on the throttle just to get it going. I put it back in the spot I keep it at for another two weeks (I didn't have time to work on it) where I replaced the petcock, and tried again. The bike started right up this time, however it would not idle at all, kept dying. I pulled the plugs, and the 1st cyl was very rich, the 2nd and 3rd cyl looked like no feul was getting in there at all or running super lean, and the 4th cyl looked ok.

Today I took the carbs off and there was fuel in all the float bowls but I opened up the carbs and sprayed everything down anyway. Put them back together, started it up and I had the same problem. I tinkered with the pilot air screws at the top of the carbs and got it to a point where it would idle. I took the bike out for a spin again, and this time when I would come to a stop the engine would race unless I had the brake and engaged the clutch a little to slow the engine down. I let the bike sit for about 5 hours where I went for another trip and it actually rode well. I just came back and now the problem is that when I try to accelerate, I get no or very little power deliver, and them bam the bike takes off. The feeling is akin to someone stepping on a garden hose and then taking the kink out of it suddenly. I would be on the highway and the bike would just not have good power delivery at all, I could mash on the throttle all day and there would be nothing, and then all of a sudden would take off.

I have had the issue in the past where when I am stopped, or slowing down and release the clutch the engine would sit at an idle around 2500 rpm unless I engage the clutch a little. The sync stopped that problem, but after I let it sit for a couple of weeks I cannot for the life of me get this thing to run correctly.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2008, 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Either you are getting too much, or not enough. I wonder, did you change the intake boot o-rings? I would start there, then make sure you double check the clamps on both air intake boots, as well as on the intake boots.

Comment

I have brand new intake boots and O-rings. I bought the bike last summer, after it was sitting the PO's yard for 2 years so the overhaul I did besides rebuilding the carbs was to replace the O-rings and boots. The carbs are very snug on both connections, as I have seen this is a common problem on the boards so whenever I take the carbs off I triple check to make sure they look good.

Comment

assuming:
        the carbs are indeed clean and synced and in stock configuration
        and you have no air leaks in the system
        and you do have an air filter and a properly sealed airbox
        i would:
        turn the pilot mixture screws to 2 turns out
        warm up the engine
        put new plugs in
        1 go for a short ride with a throtle open to under 1/4 turn only
        2 take the plugs out and read them
        3 adjust the pilot mixture screws accordingly