Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with a friend's bike. Virago 1100 carbs pouring gas out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a friend's bike. Virago 1100 carbs pouring gas out.

A friend brought me his father's 86 Virago 1100 yesterday so I could fix the gas leaking issue for father's day. They told me it was leaking out of what they described as the bowl drain plug but after I got it taken apart I realized that there is an open line coming from the top of the carb where the diaphragm area is at the top. One carb has an inline filter looking thing that's plastic and has some sort of screen mesh in it, a catalyst or something? I'm kinda lost here cuz this is the first time I've messed with Hitachi carbs and the Clymer's doesn't way what that line is, where it goes, or why its there.

I'm guessing that that open line is simply a vent for the top side of the slide diaphragm.
    The in line mesh thing I'm not sure. Can you post up a pic?

Comment

Yeah let me finish cooking breakfast and I'll take some pix.

Comment

Ok, this is the hose where the gas is coming out. I have no clue what goes there but this is how the bike came to me and the owner doesn't know either. It leaks out only when the fuel pump is building pressure tho so as soon as the pump goes off it stops flowing out. Its not just a small leaks either. It seems like there's more fuel coming out than the motor needs.

This is the other carb and the filter setup I was talking about. It seems like some kind of catalyst more than a filter. The hose on the end of it wasn't attached to anything either but it doesn't outflow when primed.

Comment

Regardless of what type of carb it is Flooding is usually a float problem !!!
          Those hoses are probably vents, overflow.. You have all the extra crap for fuel vapor / emissions

Comment

I was going to check the float bowl first but had never seen carbs flow from there before so I thought I'd ask before taking it apart. Looks like that carbs are coming off. Thanks.

Comment

Looks like someone removed the AIS system but failed to plug the outlets. Check here for lots more info:

Comment

I got it. It was a stuck float.

Comment

Working...
                X