Timing Basics For Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Basics For Beginners

I am writing this in reference to my 79 GS 750L.

I have read several threads on setting the gaps on the points and setting the timing. I know I should just put on a Dyna S and be done... but until then.....

Any of you experts willing to put together a basic tutorial with pictures about changing out points, setting the gaps, and setting the timing. I know it's basic, but the other picture tutorials are so helpful. Maybe somebody has done this.

My other question which can be answered fairly quickly; I get that you really don't need to use dwell meter to gap the points; But don't you need a timing light to correctly set the timing? I know this would seem obvious but then I read Suzuki Don say to NOT use a timing light on these older bikes. How could you set the timing without a timing light?

Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Rick

A dwell meter would let you know if you gapped the points perfectly, you don't need one it just helps to know that it is set correctly, with feeler guages sometimes it's diffcult to know for sure if you have gapped the points correctly first time out. I used one when i worked on air cooled porsche's and had to re-gap the points. A timing light would help in getting the static timing correct. For checking the advance timing you may need a digital timing light with this feature to see if the advance curve is correct. Sometimes the base timing is fine but the advance mechanisms ( wieghts )are stuck or don't work properly and you can check this while the enigne is running. Hope this helps.

Comment

I need to look at the timing on my 1000 engine today, might take a few pics...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks!!

Thanks Guys!!!!!!

Comment

Timing light

As far as using the timing light; I thought you used the timing light when the engine was running? Isn't a static adjusting with the engine off? I just have a basic Craftsman Timing light. Isn't that enough for just doing the basic timing? What is a digital timing light?

Comment

A sliding fit with a feeler gauge, followed with a VOM (or some type of ohmmeter or even a test light with gator clips & a battery) to set the timing, is all that is needed to do a first-rate job.

A strobe (timing light) is handy to see that the advance mechanism is working, but the only thing that would prevent it from working would be a stuck pivot point, and you can check that by hand as well.

The problem with points is that their condition is always changing. The good thing about points is their simplicity.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
            X