No announcement yet.

tech mod to have turn signals act as running lights/turn signals '81 GS650GLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tech mod to have turn signals act as running lights/turn signals '81 GS650GLX

I would like to change front and rear signals to dual-element type lamps and sockets, to have them lit all time, along with headlamp, and obviously blink when signalling for turns.

Wondering if anyone else has done this or heard of it being done?

(81 GS650GLX) As most know, only the headlamp and brake/tail light are lit full-time.

Check with the local law enforcement or DMV to see if you are allowed to have rear facing amber running lights. Usually any rear facing lights must be red except for a turn signal.

Comment

man, I've been trying to figure this out for years with no luck. my last thought was to run LEDs off the "extra" brown power wire in the headlight bucket and run extra wires to all the flashers. with a small capacitor to reduce the amperage it should work, now I just have to actually do it...

if you come upon something let us all know, eh?! good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard View Post
        man, I've been trying to figure this out for years with no luck. my last thought was to run LEDs off the "extra" brown power wire in the headlight bucket and run extra wires to all the flashers. with a small capacitor to reduce the amperage it should work, now I just have to actually do it...

if you come upon something let us all know, eh?! good luck!
        Dude, if you are going to run capacitors to reduce the amperage, you have no business even trying to do this project.

It is quite feasable to convert the front signals to add the running lights. Some of the larger GS bikes had that feature, especially in the newer models. I have added dual-filament front signals to my wife's '82 850L with good results.

To do the rear signals, you would have to check with your local authorities, as mentioned above, to see if you are allowed to have yellow lights constantly illuminated at the rear. There are kits that have red LEDs that can be put into the rear signal housing that shine through as an orangish-red, and don't interfere with the signal function. These are available from Electrical Connection. Besides adding running lights, they also function as additional brake lights if the signals are not on.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have dual element red turn signals in the rear that I use as running lights. I just moved the constant power wire to the two flashers from the brake light. It killed my flasher relay, but I found one on jpcycles that worked. It just flashes a little slower.

Comment

Working...
          X