Fine tuning those carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine tuning those carbs

In the process of fine tuning my carbs---setting the air screw and the fuel screw/jet on the bottom, I was in search of a simple little screw driver that I could control well, that would actually fit into that little space. I basically ended up just using the little hex ended inserts (hard to control) because that was all that would fit under my carbs.

Then I found these neat little finger drivers at sears. They work great and are inexpensive.

Excellent tool! I used them all the time to pull wheel and body moldings off without taking the wheel off when I worked at a body shop. In fact I just used one today to put my carbs back together. 12 bucks off the snap on truck and they use standard bits, I don't know how I lived without one before.

Comment

Those DO look handy! Be great for reaching screws on ALOT of carbs without removing them from the bike.

Comment

One of those with a slightly longer bit and it is a perfect fit.

I keep one in my pocket.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On my old KLR I had an aftermarket needle with an end like those. I wish I could get these for the GS when it's built and gets to the tuning point.

Edit: actually after comparing them to the needle from my carbs and they're actually very similar. I think I may order four and try them out.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2008, 12:09 AM.

Comment

that is a brilliant idea...

why hasent someone made the needles with knurled ends yet????

that would be so much easier to tune with!!!!

Comment

I think a piece of brass tubing just the right size to go over the screw head, interference fit, maybe?

Length to stick out about an inch below the carb?

Brilliant idea!
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X