Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slippage

Hi All

I had made my 1980 GS750E a winter project, got it back together, put oil in, gas, etc. fired it up on the center stand, let it warm up then put it in first gear, but before I let the clutch out the wheel started turning. Question. Seeing as I had the engine drained from oil for the majority of the winter and the fact that it is a wet clutch, does the oil need to work its way back into all the plates in the clutch before it works properly? I adjusted the clutch at the handlebar and it acts the same way after adjustment, it did not need much adjustment actually. Now, after I got it off the center stand and was going to put her back into the garage I pulled the clutch in, put it in first gear, and she started to move forward before I let the clutch handle go, I grabbed the front brake, she stopped, then when I released the brake with the clutch in, she did not move forward even though I still had the clutch pulled in and it was in first gear.....does this make any sense? It worked flawlessly before I started working on her. I did nothing to the transmission this winter, only carburetion and electrical work. I am hoping that it is a friction thing and that since the oil was out of her she had a chance to dry out all the clutch plates, now I know that there is oil in there nd it takes awhile to get everything lubed up. Thanks in advance.

Scott

the way I understand, you left the bike without oil in the case for the winter? If so, yes, it may take awhile for the oil to get in to to clutch area, but i am more inclined to think that some light rust developed inside the plate area due to lack of lube overr the winter, and moisture that developed inside it. If all is working now, I would still drain the oil again after a FULL warm up and see if there is any rust or things in it. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks, I will drain the oil, it is so dry here in this part of Idaho that not much rusts...hopefully... I will let you know.

Scott

Comment

If that does not work you could always take out the clutch plates and soak them i oil for about an hour or so...
        good luck.

Comment

If my bike is on the centerstand, running, and in gear with the clutch pulled in, the rear wheel will turn, not fast, but it will turn by itself. You can grab it and stop it from turning. I have seen this on many bikes. I believe it is because the drive plates are turning causing the oil between the plates to move which inturn, due to the viscosity of the oil, causes the driven plates to turn.

Is that what you are talking about?

Hap

Comment

From what I can tell, even if the motor has oil in it, the clutch is not immersed in oil when the engine is not running. Perhaps the bottom half inch of the basket or so, but that would be about it. I don't think it "dried out" the clutch with no oil in it over the winter.

If you had the clutch out when you were working on it probably ought to double check that eveything is re-installed properly. Did the gears grind or "thunk" really hard when you put it in gear (off the center stand)?
            If you get some slack in the clutch cable does the actuating arm on the clutch move freely just a bit, it should have a little slop in it.

Comment

Has any one suggested just driving it a while to see what happens??

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                Has any one suggested just driving it a while to see what happens??
                Yeah, that is what I was trying to say in too many words!!!

Hap

Comment

First of all, I would suggest driving it for a while to see what happens

I'm no expert, have only had 2 bikes (so far) but in both cases, the rear wheel would turn with clutch pulled in. I think Hap nailed it with his explanation.
                  Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                  "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

My rear wheel will even turn a little when in neutral and on the centre stand. It does it more often with 20w50 than when I'm running something thinner.

Steve

Comment

Thanks to all, I have not had it out since all the work has been done, I did not remove the clutch plates or do anything to the transmission. It is good to know that the wheel will turn on other bikes while up on the center stand.., so what most are saying is take it out and ride, I like that, now I just have to wait until it stops snowing..gotta love this Jackson Hole Wyoming weather.......Hap you did nail it on the head, and Scotty, I am DYING TO RIDE, I guess I should'nt have put my studded rear tire away yet.. Again, thanks to all..oh yea, about the electrical question a while ago, everything checks out, you guys are awesome!!!! :?

Scott

Comment

Hi All

Yes indeed, all I had to do was ride around for ten minutes, then when I pulled in the clutch and put her in gear she did not try to take off on me, thanks Scotty...yea...ride it around...great idea!!!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X