Amount of Oil in 78 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amount of Oil in 78 GS750

I recently purchased a 1978 GS750, and have some minor knocking coming from it. The last owner recently had the engine cover off, and I'm assuming that he didn't put enough oil back in, as the sight glass doesn't seem to work. I've tried the internet and searching, but came up with nothing. How much oil does the manual call for? I don't see it anywhere on the engine cover.

If it has a sight glass, put the bike up on its center stand. If you use the kickstand, all the oil will run to that side of the bike and you will not see any oil in it.

Once on a level surface, you will see the oil in the sight glass. My 550E, took almost 4.5 quarts of oil. Surprisingly, I know, but I also did a filter change.

Comment

My 79 GS 750 says 3.6 without filter change and 4.0 (quarts) with filter changed.

Comment

A gallon

It should say somewhere around where the filler cap is in ml, but if you do a filter change ya cant go wrong with a gallon.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

my 77 750 says 3400 ml on the side cover.

Comment

^ yup...3400ml for my 79 750E. Love it and hate it...modern bikes are mostly 2qt~ish. I like having lots of oil.

Comment

more modern bikes are mostly water cooled as well You will find that the amount of oil needed depends on what you are doing. I think on my 1100G, its 3500mL if you are just changing the oil, but 3800 if you change the filter too... Just a heads up.

Comment

Checked the side again, there was a barely visible "3400CC" on the engine cover. Thanks . And I tried putting it up vertically... sight glass flooded with oil.

When buying tailpipes, should I just measure the OD of the pipes coming from the cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Nalayah View Post
                  And I tried putting it up vertically... sight glass flooded with oil.
                  Too much oil is bad, correct measurement is, put it on the centerstand and look in the window about a minute after shutting it off. Wait too long it reads high.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I like to run mine at the hi mark of the window. Make sure that the oil does not have gas in it. (VERY IMPORTANT) I would even go ahead and change it to be sure takes 3.5-4 qts with filter change.

Comment

Working...
                    X