Power source fuse wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power source fuse wiring

My 1982 GS850l's battery loses charge while the bike is running. Last ride I took it on it dropped from ~13.08v to ~12.14v over the course of 50 minutes of continuous run time. Following the algorithm posted under "The Stator Papers" I found the voltage between the battery's positive terminal and the RR's red wire to be 0.40v, and began to look over the wiring.

I found that one of the leads from the battery's positive terminal goes into the fuse box and attaches to the main fuse (15A) and power source fuse (10A). The power source fuse does not attach to anything--no wires, no ground--on its opposite side. The lead goes from the battery's positive terminal, through the fuse, and stops.

Is this a problem? Where should it be attached?

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by jgrafft View Post
    My 1982 GS850l's battery loses charge while the bike is running. Last ride I took it on it dropped from ~13.08v to ~12.14v over the course of 50 minutes of continuous run time. Following the algorithm posted under "The Stator Papers" I found the voltage between the battery's positive terminal and the RR's red wire to be 0.40v, and began to look over the wiring.

I found that one of the leads from the battery's positive terminal goes into the fuse box and attaches to the main fuse (15A) and power source fuse (10A). The power source fuse does not attach to anything--no wires, no ground--on its opposite side. The lead goes from the battery's positive terminal, through the fuse, and stops.

Is this a problem? Where should it be attached?

Thanks a lot.
    Its for you to use for accessories if you add any.

Note that the GS bikes do not have much extra power to spare for accessories. A GPS is fine, but a pair of 100 watt running lights ... not so much.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I have no plans of adding anything electronic to the bike, especially since the battery doesn't charge as of yet.

Comment

it's difficult to do an accurate test on the reg, If the stator passes the test, wiring passes test, Replace the reg-rect

Comment

I'm just about to. The battery stays charged when the bike is off and an increase in voltage across the terminals (~1.0v +/- 0.3v) is measurable at idle speed, increasing as the RPM do. The connectors, fuse box, and fuses look good, as does the wiring I can see. Thanks for the tip, anything else you can think of?

Comment

Working...
          X