Restoration pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration pics

I am getting the 83 GS 850 GL back to original (relatively speaking)condition. I have aftermarket case guards (Crash bar) on it but wondered if there was originally smaller case guards. I am also curious about the turn signals. Were the original 83's round or rectangular like I have? I haven't been able to find any good pics of an 83 GL to compare; somebody out there must have this maroon and black model. Post some pics if it's original configuration, please.

Thanks a ton, guys. I'll be posting some pics of the progress soon.

Originally posted by cranemonkey View Post
    I am getting the 83 GS 850 GL back to original (relatively speaking)condition. I have aftermarket case guards (Crash bar) on it but wondered if there was originally smaller case guards. I am also curious about the turn signals. Were the original 83's round or rectangular like I have? I haven't been able to find any good pics of an 83 GL to compare; somebody out there must have this maroon and black model. Post some pics if it's original configuration, please.

Thanks a ton, guys. I'll be posting some pics of the progress soon.
    I do believe the L models had ROUND signals. The standards, E G whatever, had rectangular ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I do believe the L models had ROUND signals. The standards, E G whatever, had rectangular ones.
      Not the 450L I have. Thanks to you.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. cranemonkey,

This owner has square turn signals on his '83 850GL.

This pic from suzukicycle.org also shows square turn signals:

And from http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuk...#1983_GS850GLD is a nice pic of a maroon and black bike:

It also shows rectangular turn signals.

Links to cyclechaos.com and suzukicycles.org were in your mega-welcome. I've also added bikepics.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure if it will help but the GS1000GT (1980) had round signals and the GS1000GX (1981) had rectangular signals acording to the parts list. Maybe the 850 followed the same path.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Not sure if it will help but the GS1000GT (1980) had round signals and the GS1000GX (1981) had rectangular signals acording to the parts list. Maybe the 850 followed the same path.
            They might have followed the same path, but a year or two later. My wife's '82 850L came to us with what I believe were stock signals, and they were round.

I don't know if the G model was ever round, but my son's '81 850 has rectangular, black signals. I think all the L signals were chrome, whatever the shape.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

don't know if this helps or not, but my 82 gs850g came with rectangular chrome ones, and my 80 gs850g had round chrome ones. I would bet that they are rectangular on the 83. earlier models=round, later=rectangular I highly doubt they would go back to the round ones.

Comment

Well my bike is an 83 650GL, the turn signals are all the rectangular types as shown in some of the pics here.

I believe they are stock as they look like they have aged with the bike

Comment

Just to add to the confusion: square front, round for rear???

McLoud
                  '79 GS850
                  `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                  sigpic
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

mmm... maroon and black. that is a nice lookin bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                      Just to add to the confusion: square front, round for rear???

The rear signals on this bike are not stock. They have also been moved from the stock mount points.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I guess it's just a personal thing, then. Mine came to me with the rectangle lights and aftermarket crash bars. I'm stripping it down to just the basics, and add what I think may look good. I appreciate all of the responses and the reminder of where to find a close match to what I hoped to see (Thanks BC).

Comment

Originally posted by cranemonkey View Post
                          I'm stripping it down to just the basics, (Thanks BC).
                          That's pretty basic, all right, but I think I would recommend at least adding a rear wheel (and tire).

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

'82 750T Round '83 750T Square
                            Hondas
                            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                            Suzuki
                            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                            Kaw
                            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                              '82 750T Round '83 750T Square
                              Same for the 850 - L at least. Mirrors too - 83 has the rectangle ones

Comment

Working...
                              X