Original Header Bolt Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Header Bolt Type

Hi to all, I am restoring my 82 1100 Katana (E24 Australian model) and would like to know if the header pipes were secured by studs and nuts on the pipe collars or with bolts into the head? I have the headers and exhaust system (new genuine system) however, Suzuki have advised me that allen head bolts will be supplied for mounting. Hmmm I can't remember what was used but stainless steel allen head bolts don't ring any bells here. The system is black chrome and stainless didn't go with that system.
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

the parts fiche for the 82 1000 and 1100 models indeed show what looks like an allen head bolt
    GS850GT

Comment

Thanks psyguy, so stainless allen heads it is then. That would explain why the headers arrived with two black flanges and two alloy finish flanges, an each way bet by the look of it. Looking at some old photos they have alloy finish on each flange not the black I have on header 1 and 4, Iam confused. Cheers mate and thanks for the help.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

UK spec bike was exhaust collar and bolt with 7 marked on it in chrome.

Suzuki mad.

GS1000ET 1981
        GSX1100ESD 1983
        GSF1200K1 2002
        Comming soon GS1000S 1980.

Comment

Thanks suzuki mad, looks like my headers are for the 83/84 black engine hence the black collars on header 1 and 4 when my 82 (model I ordered) should have black pipes and alloy finish collars, cheers.
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

this is a pic off a german gs site

it does look like an allen head bolt on a silver flange, but black exhaust

GS850GT

Comment

My 83 ESD has chrome pipes on a black engine, came that way as standard.

You can get black bolts (got some for the crank case cover's)

Suzuki mad

Comment

Yeah that looks better, as i replied to suzuki mad I think I've been sent the 83/84 model system not the 82. Thanks for the pic and the follow up mate, cheers. Hows Bruno going?
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

You have a black engine bike? Must be a later one then.

Just checked the parts book and its 'Allen head' bolts. So I'm wrong. Part number 09106-08018/08021 should be chrome ones.

1983 bike 09106-08024.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation on allen head bolts suzuki mad, tick that box. Mine is the 82 Katana with cast aluminium paint finish engine, Australia got the black engines for the 83 and 84 models. Looks like different part numbers for UK and OZ allen head bolts, number here is 07130-08047. And your right their chrome finish not the stainless that I mentioned, cheers.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                      Hows Bruno going?
                      Bruno just had the wheels and the lower forks powdercoated :grin:
                      going very strong,thanks for asking
                      good luck with your kat
                      GS850GT

Comment

Would sure like to see some pics of that Kat, Shin. Mine's still in pieces as I've had zero time to fiddle. Plus, trying to work out the carburetion on the 84 750....

Comment

Hey Smokin' how are ya? Thanks for the hello and yes I will have to pull my finger out and get some photos on the site. The exhaust system arrived this week, though with some minor problems as you can see. I spoke with Suzuki today and should be sorted out soon. I will keep the system even though its for the 84 model as there are now no complete systems for the 82 in Suzuki stock. The only change is the header flanges and bolts are black chrome and not the alloy finish of the 82, I can live with that to have a new original system. Catch ya later, cheers.
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 06-17-2008, 06:49 AM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Hi psyguy glad to hear Bruno is doing well. Did you polish the wheels and forks before powder coating and if so how did the finish turn out once coated? I have to do my forks and wheels and had planned to go with POR 15 polished alloy system of coatings however, best to ask about other ways to do it befor the final D. Cheers mate.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                              Hi psyguy glad to hear Bruno is doing well. Did you polish the wheels and forks before powder coating and if so how did the finish turn out once coated? I have to do my forks and wheels and had planned to go with POR 15 polished alloy system of coatings however, best to ask about other ways to do it befor the final D. Cheers mate.
                              i opted for powdercoating the whole wheels not just the originally painted parts
                              the wheels lost that oem period-correct look with the polished edge but look awesome otherwise
                              no more polishing and no more dirt sticking to the wheels (as they are clear-coated as well)

not sure what por15 product you have in mind
                              i had the engine side covers polished and then used por15 two-pack clear coat, unfortunately the aloy started coroding underneath the clear coat and doesnt look that good from close up
                              eventually, i'd have those powdercoated as well, to a satin-chrome-like finish... again - maintenance free is what i'm after these days
                              sorry, no pickies yet ...
                              oh yes, did my forks too, look great :-D
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X