Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

couldn't get the crankcase nut loosened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couldn't get the crankcase nut loosened!

I went to change the oil on my '82 850G this weekend, (thanks to BikeCliff for his awesome "instructables"!) and had everything set to go. I live in the city, so I pulled the bike up on the sidewalk next to my building, put down a towel to catch spills, had my tools all set up, catch pan ready, and when I put the socket wrench on the crankcase nut...

...it would. not. budge.

I am not a small guy, so I figured it was just full of grit. Sprayed some degreaser on it to loosen the collected muck, washed it out...still nothing. No movement at all.

Then I realized that when I bought the bike, the guy gave me all the service docs he had - and he'd had an oil change done at a garage, where they probably used the pneumatic gun to tighten the nut.

Any clever solutions for this besides taking to a shop and having them loosen it with a pneumatic gun?

Nuts!

I doubt if anyone would be so dumb as to use a pneumatic gun but you never know. It's so irritating that so many people over tighten nuts and bolts; it's totally unnecessary and causes a lot more harm than good.

As long as you haven't stripped the nut, I believe you'll get it. I'd suggest you get a high quality 1/2 inch drive socket on there and use a pipe, or something similar, to get really good leverage. Rather than gradually trying to loosen it, give it a very sharp, all at once, pull. My guess is that you'll hear a 'crack' and it will be loose.

I had a very similar situation with my 1100 when I bought it and that worked for me. When you replace it, slightly more than finger tight will be just fine...and it will still be plenty tight when you take it off next time. Good luck...you'll get it!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Nuts indeed!

Man, I was whacking away at that socket wrench with the hammer, too. OK, I'll give it a try with a piece of pipe. I would hate to have to take it to a shop just to loosen the nut...

Comment

Hope so

For some reason, a sharp pull with really good leverage seems to be more helpful than banging on it. I don't know the physics behind it but I've found that to be the case on a number of jobs. As long as it's not stripped, I feel sure you'll get it. I hope so. Let us know!!

P.S. I really hate to say this but make sure you're pulling in the right direction. When stuff is upside down, confusion is possible. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Comment

funny, this is what happened to me also yesterday. I wanted to drain the oil out since there is a little too much and refill accordingly. Can't get the screw out...
          Very helpful.. Thanks.

Comment

they might have used the green loctite on it.

Comment

Originally posted by buttonhook View Post
              they might have used the green loctite on it.
              Or red Loctite, or JB Weld, or anything else.

I would definitely look underneath to see if you can tell what the problem is, pull hard enough and you might pull the threads right out or even crack the oil pan. It's just a thin aluminum casting.

Can't imagine getting the plug tight enough that it wouldn't come out, without using some kind of glue.

And, if they glued it, there must be a reason, like maybe the threads were already stripped out?

Good luck.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                My guess is that you'll hear a 'crack' and it will be loose.

LOL, that crack you hear might be the spider cracks around the pan screw opening. I can' think of how that could be on that tight without it failing.

I overtighted a valve cover bolt once. It broke off and cracked the valve cover. $100 error.

Comment

The sump plug is easy to strip so using an air gun would truely mess it up.

If you use a bar or a peice of pipe on the socket you increase the leaverage that your are using hence more pressure is applied.

There should be a cruch washer on the bolt and it common for people not to change these. It could be that somebodies tighten it up hard to seal it.

Suzuki mad

Comment

I have run into that proble, the only thing do do as sugested use more leverage. Longer ratchet, piece of pipe I have several lengths of 2" pipe from 1'-3' with couplers

Comment

Nuts

I just hate spending cash on things that are NOT directly associate with the bike...ah well.

Comment

Get a breaker bar from Sears or Harbor Freight. Also get a 1/2 inch type socket for the oil gallery nut.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've alway used a short cut and used my largest socket wrench and used a large 1" boxed end wrench, put the hole of the wrench around the end of the socket wrench and gained about 14" at an angle. Enough to unstick most situations. Much more and somthing will bust.

Comment

Come on!!

Don't leave us in suspense, Jimmy. You've got the best advice in the business and you've got to get it off..or run foul oil forever. Get it off!!!
                            Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Just to throw this out there, Hhhhmmmmm turning it the right way are we?
                              Whenever I am working on something I can't see, I always double check that the ratchet is turning the right way, just to be sure. Then I put tension on the plug/nut/bolt and give it a crack with a 1lb ballpeen. It will usually come loose.
                              Then when you reinstall that thing, put a new crush washer on it and make it just half a turn (I seem to remember but feel free to correct me) after it is snugged down on the crush washer.

Comment

Working...
                              X