Bent Crank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent Crank?

1st of all I wanted to say this is a great forum. I have been lurking for quite sometime and the people here are fantastic. I have read most of the tutorials and have used that knowledge to assist myself and others. Thank YOU!

Now on to my issue. I was working a stator problem and decided to check how everything turns & if it looks good. Dont ask me why I decided to do this, I think it was to test the OLD battery that was replaced, after charging. Watch the video - It looks apparent to me, but wanted to run it past the experts.

The bike in question 1982 GS1100E

I shot some video you can find it here.

Thanks again for all your comments/help!

I have never actually seen a bent crank, but that video sould sure convince me that I have NOW.

I thought there might be a possibility that the rotor was crooked, but the shaft is wobbling, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do NOT ride that bike till you get the crank fixed! That little wobble is from the bike going down HARD on that end of the crank. It can KILL a set of cases running for very long that way. Send the crank to GRC or John Pearson but my advice is to avoid Falicon due to some "shady" practices there. Or, call me at 714-356-7845 as I have cranks in stock. Ray.

Comment

Copy on the not riding

You know the funny part of this. I had no idea this was bad. It was a fluke i even decided to test it. Very strange. Thanks for the confirmation. I have the motor out of the bike, head is off, block is off and I quit for evening!

I'm so used to 4-wheeler 2 stoke motors, this took a while to get out and a lot more aggression, however i must admit I do feel a bit better!

I hope to have time to split the cases tomorrow. The question remains, do I rebuild the motor or look for another?

How much is a crank? Then I might as well have the whole engine done right too!

I just dont know

Comment

i couldnt get the vid to work, no way to play MP4 here....

whats it doing?

Comment

you should be able to tell the extent of the damage when you split the cases
            if it's only the end of the crank that's crocked you should be fine with just a replacement crank
            if theres more to it, you're likely to see some damage to the crank seats in the cases
            if in doubt, maybe best to get a replacement motor
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
              i couldnt get the vid to work, no way to play MP4 here....

whats it doing?
              I'd say it's wobbling about 1/8".

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I think I may just go the motor route. Does anyone know where I can find a motor in good shape for a decent price. Come to think of it, what is a decent price?

Thanks

Comment

Did you at least contact RapidRay to see what he has to offer? He really knows is stuff with the 1100s as he races them.
                  That is how he got the name RAPID Ray. He can also give you a good idea on what prices to expect and where to look for engines.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

The EZs (82s) have been known to twist the cranks. Mine did. Maybe ya got a junkyard replacement...
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      ...but my advice is to avoid Falicon due to some "shady" practices there...

Ray, what problems have you had with Falicon? It has been a while since I sent them a crank (several years) but all my dealings with them have been positive. Have they gone down the tubes?

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X