83 GS 650G Bogs down on freeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 650G Bogs down on freeway

I have a 1983 GS650G that has run fine up till now. I recently replaced the stock air filter with indivual pod type filters. I took the motorcycle to a mechanic to get the carbs re-jetted. After a long trial and error process, which cost me $240.00, I got the bike back. It started easy and ran fine as I rode it back to my house. A week latter when I took the Suzuki on the freeway, I started to have trouble. At around 5000 RPM in 5th gear the bike begins to bog down. It almost feels like it running out of gas. If I give it full throttle it takes off and runs normally. I've noticed that cross winds seem to make the problem worst. After spending all that money, I would hate to go back to the stock air filter, Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis

It sounds as though it is slightly lean, getting the engine hot, and bogging down. pull and see what colour the plugs are. this is, of course, assuming that the floats are set correctly and the petcock is not malfunctioning by not allowing proper fuel flow. post back and let us know waht you have. :twisted:

Comment

Re: 83 GS 650G Bogs down on freeway

I would go up a size on the midrange jet.

Earl

Originally posted by dipsearacer
      I have a 1983 GS650G that has run fine up till now. I recently replaced the stock air filter with indivual pod type filters. I took the motorcycle to a mechanic to get the carbs re-jetted. After a long trial and error process, which cost me $240.00, I got the bike back. It started easy and ran fine as I rode it back to my house. A week latter when I took the Suzuki on the freeway, I started to have trouble. At around 5000 RPM in 5th gear the bike begins to bog down. It almost feels like it running out of gas. If I give it full throttle it takes off and runs normally. I've noticed that cross winds seem to make the problem worst. After spending all that money, I would hate to go back to the stock air filter, Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

did you try adding a little choke when it starts to bog ?this would verify a lean needle.Mark

Comment

Originally posted by snofrog
          did you try adding a little choke when it starts to bog ?this would verify a lean needle.Mark
          I had an identical problem with my bike, but with a stock airbox & stock carbs.

I was missing some airbox parts (like the lid), and running too lean because of too much airflow, hence not enough pressure, hence not enough fuel...

Prior to fixing it, I was able to get power back by riding with the choke partially on...

Comment

I believe what your had was not enough vacuum. That would be not enough negative pressure. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Dave_A"]

I was missing some airbox parts (like the lid), and running too lean because of too much airflow, hence not enough pressure, hence not enough fuel...
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X