Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any Keihin carburetors fit a 1979 GS750E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any Keihin carburetors fit a 1979 GS750E?

Asking mostly because I have a large stockpile of Keihin jets and parts. I've never been a big fan of, nor had much luck with, Mikuni carburetors (preference, nothing wrong with them I'm sure).

Thanks in advance!

I am quite sure that with enough trial-and-error, you might find some that fit the intake boots. Now you will have to do something to get the spacing correct from one cylinder to another. Now, getting the jetting correct will be another challenge.

Hopefully you will be able to overcome your "preference" and just accept the fact that Mikunis work rather well on these bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for yet another entirely pointless post. you should be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
        You asked if any would fit. I answered to the best of my ability.

I am sorry it is not up to your standards. I will hereby ignore any future posts with your name attached.
        I should have learned from your responses to your questions about compression numbers.
        This only confirms my suspicions that were formed during that thread. 90...75...90...115...

I might make an exception to my "not reading your posts" rule when you tell us how well your Keihin carbs work on your 750.

Last edited by Steve; 06-17-2008, 02:19 AM.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You can make anything work if you want it bad enough. Use the round peg in the square hole approach.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Use the round peg in the square hole approach.
            You know, if you use a big enough hammer, it will work.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I have actually seen some GS's (mainly race and drag bikes) fitted with MODERN Keihins, but I would varily doubt you'll get any of your stockpile to fit without some serious fabrication work. If you were going to all THAT trouble, why not make it fuel injected? Might be a task just as easy.

I have to say, you sure do have a way of taking decent advice and input and SMASHING it with a hammer. Tends to make people NOT want to answer your questions.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

decent input is having a legitimate answer. posting "i don't know" is moronic and only a waste of people's time.

Comment

The truth is that people like steve and others are taking their time to think and help others. I know for one I am indebted to their assistance and thoughtful responses. I really don't believe it is the "spirit" of this forum to disregard any response in an unkind way. But I guess if your not interested in future help or advice, do whatever you want.

Comment

Is there a full moon thing going on in the past few days.

AN awful lot of reactionary comments and negativity all around.

bashing a persons comment is never nice.

Sometimes some of the what if scenarios do get respoded to with a degree of finality that can be misread as condemnation of the question posed and it writer.

Comment

As I read the Q N A here it makes me shake my head that a responce from makenzie71 is just a picture of the inner person and why some people will go out of there way to be a AHole .
                      I think this place is full of people that love there GS as I thanks to all .
                      No good dead goes unpunished.LOSER

Comment

Not nice to ask for help and bash the answer, not what this is about. Here -
                        Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

If you can afford it, have at it.

BTW - you might try the off topic forums, you can be an d*ck over there, and people will put up with you.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I will not sit by and watch good people whom I consider to be my friends insulted without a response.

Do you know how many old GSes have been rescued from the back of a garage or from behind a barn because of the efforts of people (like Steve, and others) on this site? Hundreds.

People generally find an old GS (or decide to get their old bike running after it had quit on them years before), google "Suzuki GS750" or something like that, and eventually find this site. Those who are successful in their renovation efforts generally proceed this way:

1. They search and read for hours before ever posting anything.

2. They find several threads or "how to" articles that seem relevant to their particular issue(s).

3. They generally post an introduction to the whole forum, then begin politely asking questions when they can't find an answer, or don't understand something they read.

4. They always show an appreciation for people taking the time to try to help them, even when it may not actually help in their situation.

5. They purchase or download a shop manual for their own reference.

6. They get their bike(s) running.

You sir, have done exactly none of those things. You dismiss any reply that doesn't match your preconceived answer, you are rude, and you ask basic, simple questions with easily found answers. You're simply too lazy or stupid to find them yourself, and demand service from others while offering nothing in return.

Firing order on cylinders? Valve clearances? Come on. It took me ten seconds to find the answers to those two questions using the search feature here. If you had a shop manual, you'd be able to find them in about thirty seconds.

By the way, a CB900 Custom has a 7" headlight, not an 8", according to the September 1980 Cycle Magazine Road test article. So in addition to being lazy and rude, you are also apparently incapable of reading a ruler.

You're too cheap to buy a shop manual, you've insulted several helpful people who are usually willing and good sources of info here, and you have demonstrated a level of impatience and obstinance that will make it extremely difficult for you to adequately evaluate and correct the issues with your bike.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by Griffin; 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Beautifully stated Griff.

Comment

Well put Griffen.
                              I was just going say pretty much the same but with a few words like arrogant ****er, ****wit oh and a **** off.
                              But yours works to mate.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X