Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any Keihin carburetors fit a 1979 GS750E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    I will not sit by and watch good people whom I consider to be my friends insulted without a response.
    But you'll sit by while he insults others? It's not this post in particular that irks me...it's an assortment of posts from him. His post was neither helpful or informative...it was nothing but pompous disregard for someone seeking a simple answer. It doesn't take any variety of professional to know that with enough money and time you can make any two pieces fit together. That wasn't what I asked. I asked if there was a straight forward compatible set. Simple question that's deserving of a simple answer.

I'm sure he's helped many, many people...and many people claim to have been helped...but posts such as he's recently made toward me are meant only to be inflammatory and increase one's post count.

I do apologize for my initial remarks in this particular thread, though...considering the fact that I had much better posts to be irritated by, it was an over-reaction and should have been put elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
      But you'll sit by while he insults others? It's not this post in particular that irks me...it's an assortment of posts from him. His post was neither helpful or informative...it was nothing but pompous disregard for someone seeking a simple answer. It doesn't take any variety of professional to know that with enough money and time you can make any two pieces fit together. That wasn't what I asked. I asked if there was a straight forward compatible set. Simple question that's deserving of a simple answer.

I'm sure he's helped many, many people...and many people claim to have been helped...but posts such as he's recently made toward me are meant only to be inflammatory and increase one's post count.

I do apologize for my initial remarks in this particular thread, though...considering the fact that I had much better posts to be irritated by, it was an over-reaction and should have been put elsewhere.
      Totally ridiculous, there was nothing wrong with his answer except that it wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you don't wan't to be insulted, don't be an a*shole and respect the people who respond to you in good faith. Go start your own forum and answer your own f*cking questions, since you already have all the answers.

Comment

the entire timbre and progression of this post is apalling.
        there is no need of the original poster to bash anyone nor is there a need for anyone subsequently to bash the reponse of that poster to what was percieved as an inapprpriate response.

A lot of folks have been beating up on new folks lately and that is just bad.
        nothing forgives a mob mentality.

if the supposed injured party cannot adequtely defend themselves, or more appropriately ignore acerbic comments then they need to quit posting.

Comment

And back to the original question.........

You won't find any Keihins from the same era that will bolt straight on as the carb spacing is wrong. You will however find modern Keihins already sorted to fit - won't be cheap mind, though CRs would be nice.....

You could I suppose mess around with fabricating some brackets to adjust fittings but it would be a fair amount of work - you'd have to alter linkages etc as well. This isn't easy - I count myself as pretty competent at this kind of work and I've done it the other way round - ie adjusting Mikunis and it's a lot of b*ggeration.

I'm trying to think what bike could act as a donor and the best match I can think of would be a SOHC Honda 750. Somebody must be able to think of something better?

I know you said that your preference for Keihins was personal but you should be aware that Mikunis from that era were considered to be the better carb by a considerable margin.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
            the entire timbre and progression of this post is apalling.
            there is no need of the original poster to bash anyone nor is there a need for anyone subsequently to bash the reponse of that poster to what was percieved as an inapprpriate response.

A lot of folks have been beating up on new folks lately and that is just bad.
            nothing forgives a mob mentality.

if the supposed injured party cannot adequtely defend themselves, or more appropriately ignore acerbic comments then they need to quit posting.
            Look through all of makenzie71's posts, there's a common thread, he's been rude as can be to anyone who has tried to help.
            He can screw up his own damned bike as far as I'm concerned.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

He's a deadset loser.

Comment

After reading though many of makenzie71's posts here I suspect he is more knowledgeable than the typical newbie, but he didn’t post enough information up front to distinguish himself from someone that has no clue. He also seems irritated when people don’t recognize his level of knowledge, or question his understanding of a problem. Pretty crazy really since the GSR is full of extremely knowledgeable people that are always willing to lend a hand, in fact, this is what distinguishes the GSR from many other forums on the web.

I think we should cut him some slack and see if he wants to meld in here and glean and share information like everyone else. Piling on is not productive although I understand why those that have, did.

Last edited by Nessism; 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  And back to the original question.........

You won't find any Keihins from the same era that will bolt straight on as the carb spacing is wrong. You will however find modern Keihins already sorted to fit - won't be cheap mind, though CRs would be nice.....

You could I suppose mess around with fabricating some brackets to adjust fittings but it would be a fair amount of work - you'd have to alter linkages etc as well. This isn't easy - I count myself as pretty competent at this kind of work and I've done it the other way round - ie adjusting Mikunis and it's a lot of b*ggeration.

I'm trying to think what bike could act as a donor and the best match I can think of would be a SOHC Honda 750. Somebody must be able to think of something better?

I know you said that your preference for Keihins was personal but you should be aware that Mikunis from that era were considered to be the better carb by a considerable margin.
                  I'll be checking out a set of carburetors from a CB750 and I'll post up results.

It's personal preference because I know how to tune and work with Keihins...and I have a vast collection of jets and other parts. I've never had too much luck with Mikuni and I was having horrid luck with these...but I'm pretty sure I've discovered why. Two of the adjustments were tightened down to the point of breaking...an ease out wouldn't touch one pilot screw. All the rest of the adjustments were crazy too. If I can find a set of Mikunis that are in good shape to begin with I might have better luck.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                    I'll be checking out a set of carburetors from a CB750 and I'll post up results.

It's personal preference because I know how to tune and work with Keihins...and I have a vast collection of jets and other parts. I've never had too much luck with Mikuni and I was having horrid luck with these...but I'm pretty sure I've discovered why. Two of the adjustments were tightened down to the point of breaking...an ease out wouldn't touch one pilot screw. All the rest of the adjustments were crazy too. If I can find a set of Mikunis that are in good shape to begin with I might have better luck.
                    Seems pretty silly to go the Keihin route unless you are going to install a header and pod filters. The Mikuni's won't require any tweaking other than a simple sync and pilot screw adjustment if you get them back to stock condition. Stuck pilot screws are a real bugger but a good many people around here will offer up misc. carb bodies if you ask nicely. This is clearly the path of least resistance unless again, you are going to have to rejet anyway...in which case, keep us informed of how the carb swap goes.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

pods and full exhaust...I love the sound of my bikes' breathing. I had thoughts of keeping it somewhat stock because the factory exhaust was in wonderful condition...but now there's a dent in it from a move-mishap. So it'll get the works.

Comment

Working...
                      X