• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem fixed I didn't have it grounded properly, can you say dumbsh!t

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
      problem fixed I didn't have it grounded properly, can you say dumbsh!t
      It was suggested to me (by the Obi Wan Kinobi of GS'rs) that I run the sense wire to directly to the battery through a relay. You can still tie into your tail light hot wire to close the relay when the ignition is on. The voltage drop to the tail light may possibly cause the the R/R to put out too high a voltage and boil the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

Duaneage's R/R should be working properly but I suppose a dud may have gotten past him. Are you sure it is hooked up correctly? Perhaps you can verify with him.
        I've never seen a bad Honda RR yet. Despite their age they are remarkably durable it seems.

I prefer to ground to the frame and redo the battery ground to the frame as well. The primary job of the RR and stator is power the bike. Everything is grounded to the frame. The battery gets a charge as a byproduct.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post
          It was suggested to me (by the Obi Wan Kinobi of GS'rs) that I run the sense wire to directly to the battery through a relay. You can still tie into your tail light hot wire to close the relay when the ignition is on. The voltage drop to the tail light may possibly cause the the R/R to put out too high a voltage and boil the battery.
          The best thing to do is make sure the various switches are clean and working properly, rather than adding relays for this or that.

If there is a dirty light or ignition switch dropping voltage to the lights, why not take care of it directly? Or will we be installing relays for the brake light, headlight, turn signals, etc?

A little contact cleaner spray can work wonders on old switches. Sometimes they just have to be replaced.

Comment

Well, not to argue a point but, there is a voltage drop associated with the wire running to the tail light regardless how clean your switches etc are. BUT, those need to be clean regardless. The relay is just a means to an end. From my work experience in telecomm power, I KNOW the closer to the source you measure your voltage, the more accuracy you get.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            The best thing to do is make sure the various switches are clean and working properly, rather than adding relays for this or that.

If there is a dirty light or ignition switch dropping voltage to the lights, why not take care of it directly? Or will we be installing relays for the brake light, headlight, turn signals, etc?

A little contact cleaner spray can work wonders on old switches. Sometimes they just have to be replaced.

Comment

The Honda RR tapped it's source from the coils, which can be even lower than the brake light switch. Seeing a drop from the battery potential can be a proper thing.

Comment

How about that? Learn something every day. Thanks D.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                The Honda RR tapped it's source from the coils, which can be even lower than the brake light switch. Seeing a drop from the battery potential can be a proper thing.

Comment

Working...
                X