No announcement yet.

Carb cleaning and o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do yourself a favor and either rinse out the tank with carb cleaner or install an inline fuel filter at least temporarily. I cleaned my carbs 4 times before I finally figured out that stuff in the tank was the problem. Looking thru the filler cap the tank looked great. Also, drain the tank if the fuel is more than a few months old even if stable was used in it. Todays gas just does not hold up well. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
      The berrymans residue may not be the best for your o rings. Berrymans will soften rubber and plastic if exposed long enough.

When I clean a set of carbs, I will soak for an hour or so and then I use a small old toothbrush to brush the crud off. If it doesn't clean, I soak longer. After getting them looking good, a thorough water hose wash followed by the airgun. Then I usually double check the small passages with the toothpick and wire combination. Finally a blast of carb spray and reassemble. Sounds like you have them pretty clean now, some members use seafoam every few tanks to keep clean. How fast are you getting to put them back on bike? I am under 10 minutes now.
      I also use this technique: Carb dip soak > water rinse (like the can says)> blow off with air > spray carb cleaner to make sure the passages are all clear.

I'm not a fan of soaking for 24 hours unless the carbs really need it. There are rubber seals on the ends of the shaft holding the butterfly on CV carbs and it's best to not expose them to the dip any longer than necessary.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        No, thank you. Been there, done that. Back in 1982 I had a battery blow up in my face as I was checking to see if the cable was tight. Scarred my corneas and could not wear my contact lenses for about 5 years. New advances in contact lens materials then allowed me to get new ones. I look better, er, I see better now.

I was about to say...you look better thru a warbled contact lens :P Kidding buddy...only kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          I was about to say...only kidding...
          Thanks, I think.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am one of the big proponents of using Seafoam in the tank. The gas we get these days is not the same quality as in years gone by and if left to sit for even a week or two it can go "off". I've noticed this especially of the fuel from independent gas stations.

The Seafoam is a great system cleaner and also is a fuel stabilizer. I put in a couple of caps full with every full tank. It won't stop or dissolve chunks of rust from the tank so an in line filter is also an extremely good idea. If the tank is suspect, I would be cleaning and sealing it too. Nothing worse than being miles from home with one or more plugged carbs.

To avoid problems in the next season proper winter storage is important and there are differing views on how to treat your fuel system. I think the best way is to drain the carbs and disconnect the fuel tank but I have also been know to put a half can of Seafoam in the tank and run the bike a time or two over the layup. Both seem to work and the bikes run fine next time. Whatever you do don't leave the tank and carbs filled with untreated gas. It will go off and crap will form. You'll be back in to cleaning again.

Give Seafoam a try.

cheers,
            spyug.

Comment

Working...
            X