clutch gear dampening springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch gear dampening springs?

On my 79 gs1000 motor Im building, The flywheel gear beind the clutch, has the springs in it. There loose and jiggle around. Are they suppose to be tight? They make noise there so loose. If thats bad, Can I replace them?

The part your talking about is the clutch basket. Its rivited together and not serviceable by mortal human beings.

This was a notorious problem on the GS1100 line of engines. Yes, this is bad. You have three choices, get a new part from the dealer (around $250), get a good used basket (make sure the springs are tight, the gear doesn't move on the basket and make sure the backing plate isn't cracked) or send your basket to Falicon for inspection and hopefully a rebuild/modification. I really don't remember the GS1000 line having this problem but after all these years I wouldn't doubt it. Then again by the time I was wrenching in dealerships in 1983 GS1000's were few and far between in the shop.

What I would do is send your crank and clutch basket to Falicon, have them mod the basket and true and weld the crank and you'll never have trouble from them again if your not racing.

Contact them first for advice and pricing.

Comment

I was going to recommend APE but they don't do 1000 clutch hubs. at least I don't think so.
      Keep an eye on Fleabay for a good hub.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

There was a thread a while ago, with nice pics and everything, that showed how to do this. He drilled out the rivets, took it apart and shimmed the springs with washers, put it back together and welded the new rivets in. All stuff I could do at home by hand, I would probably try to replace the old springs rather than shim them.
        He didn't do any balancing, but it shouldn't be any more unbalanced than it was originally.
        I looked for the thread tonight, couldn't find it.

I have not done this, and can not say this works or is a good idea, but it seemed to work for him.

Try searching for it, it was here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

as tkent said
          i remember the thread too and it seemed like something just any engineering shop should be able to do
          new springs + velded rivets and you should be ready to go
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I was going to recommend APE but they don't do 1000 clutch hubs. at least I don't think so.
            Keep an eye on Fleabay for a good hub.
            Actually, I think they do? I'd get a hold of Jay (he's a member here) with ape. They don't show it, but I think they will make something up for you. They make a kit for the do-it-yourselfer, or you can send them your hub and they'll do the work for you (at a cost).

I think you can mix up stuff, too? I bought this billet basket for my project 1000... I think it's an 1100 basket with 1000 gears? Anyway, this is what it will look like welded up:

Last edited by renobruce; 06-18-2008, 02:07 AM.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Looks like mine till you turned it over.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X