loud click...no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loud click...no power

Just rode my 450 today with no issues. Now I went out to start it and I get nothing out of the motor. You turn the key on and everything lights up like usual, but as soon as you touch the start button there's a loud click from something under the seat, and all the power goes out, nothing has any power. After a minute or so, there is a click and then all the lights and stuff works again, but it shuts off as soon as the starter is hit.

Any ideas here? The main fuse is fine. Checked all the big wiring to the starter and the relay, can't find any shorts or anything. Plenty of charge in the battery.

Hi Mr. RWhitehouse,

Loud click under your seat? In that case I would start troubleshooting the starter solenoid. I'm sure your manual has the procedure.

Can you push start it?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Automatic tranny...no push starts.

I thought the solenoid as well, but that doesn't explain why the power goes out to everything for like a minute, then a click that "resets" everything. Unless there's some massive, sudden short in the starter somewhere.

Comment

Check all your power connections and make sure they are tight. Check the ground especially. Sounds like a bad ground to be honest.

Comment

Oh! You've got a 450GA. That's cool. There are a few other forum members with that bike, but they are pretty rare. I was given an owner's manual, which is posted on my site. But I don't have a shop maintenance manual. Sorry. But still, hopefully one of the electrical gurus will be along shortly with some smarter suggestions than mine. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check and clean all the connections from the battery to the solenoid and all the grounds.
            Also clean the fuse block to make sure all the fuses are making contact.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

After that happens just do the "no tools" check. Feel the connections starting from the battery side all the grounds etc. If any feels hot or warm then you have your culprit.

Comment

I had the same issue today. I have a GS650GLX. I hear a click...click...click and all the lights work, but it won't turn over. Currently charging battery and am hoping that fixes it. The fella I bought the bike from put the wrong size battery in so he had to do a crazy round about way of connecting the battery...that's probably my issue. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by RWhitehouse View Post
                  Automatic tranny...no push starts.

I thought the solenoid as well, but that doesn't explain why the power goes out to everything for like a minute, then a click that "resets" everything. Unless there's some massive, sudden short in the starter somewhere.
                  Did someone install a circuit breaker on something?
                  They click off and after a while they click on again.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds to me like a crappy connection at the battery, or your battery is just about toast. I have had the same thing happen with cars. Loose connection at the terminal. Bolt would be nice and tight, but if there is any sort of flat spot in the pole, it would not make a good connection. You'd have lights, power, but as soon as you hit the key...CLUNK, and everything is dead. I know the bike batterys connect differently, but check them. Make sure they're nice and tight. Also, throw a multi meter on your battery, and, assuming you're reading 12.6 or so to begin with, see what happens when you hit the starter. Ive read tale of batteries that read good voltage untill the starter draw hits it, then it crashes to 4 volts and slowly climbs back up. I think Jim (RageZro) had this problem recently on his Zed. Crappy glassmat battery. Dead cell on a new battery. Replaced it, all was kosher...

Comment

Working...
                    X