Did I waste my money on a new chain???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I waste my money on a new chain???

I have an 81 GS750L that needed the chain replaced as it was completely at the end of the adjustment.
    I purchased a new chain from a local dealer and put it on.
    Everything has been great, but have had to adjust it out now and it has been driven daily for the last 2 months @ 60 miles a day m-f to and from work.
    Doing the math, that should add up to roughly 720 miles and the chain is already sloppy.
    Did I make a mistake in replacing the chain and not replacing the sprockets at the same time??
    If I don't replace the sprockets right now, can I shorten the chain until I can purchase a 530 conversion??

I always get a little chain stretch right away (break in). The sprockets should of been done. It will shorten the life of the chain.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
      Did I make a mistake in replacing the chain and not replacing the sprockets at the same time??
      If I don't replace the sprockets right now, can I shorten the chain until I can purchase a 530 conversion??
      Yes, you should have changed the sprockets as well. If you change them immediately, you may be able to still get decent life out of your chain, but you certainly shortened the chain life somewhat. How much longer the chain will last with the worn sprockets is hard to say. It depends on how bad the sprockets are and how tight you adjust your chain. Keep it on the loose side to prolong it's life as much as possible. How bad is it when you say "sloppy"? Keep in mind a new chain will usually bed in a bit and will often require an adjustment early on as everything stretches to it's working position.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
        How bad is it when you say "sloppy"? Mark
        It has gotten sloppy enough that I had to tighten it up just to keep it off of the frame!!
        When I looked at how the chain and rear sprocket mesh up, it looks as if the space between the links is much bigger than the sprocket takes up.

Comment

a chain and sprocket are like DNA after just a few miles of use, putting a different chain on old sprockets will kill the chain quick. when changing the chain ALWAYS change the sprockets if you want any kind of life outof the chain.

as you ride the teeth on the sprockets change aswell as the chain so putting a new chain on old prockets will not mesh up right and cause the chain to try and streatch to match the sprockets, seems like that is what has just happend to yer new chain

Comment

OK, now I know what I did wrong.
            Now the question is this....
            Should I do a swap out of the sprockets to accept a 530 chain as they are more readily available and less costly?? (Or so I have been told)

Comment

OK, now I know what I did wrong.
              Now the question is this....
              Should I do a swap out of the sprockets to accept a 530 chain as they are more readily available and less costly?? (Or so I have been told)

It also reduces rotational mass on the motor. This can help a little bit in a lot of ways. Reducing wear on parts, decreasing the amount your motor has to work to turn the same rpm..etc. etc. Its an easy swap, and if you're going to get new sprockets, nows the best time to do it

Comment

Keep it the way it is and ride it. NEXT time replace sprockets & Chain as a set

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Keep it the way it is and ride it. NEXT time replace sprockets & Chain as a set
                  Can't do this when the chain adjustment is almost completely gone. I am going to order in a 530 swap and ride 'til I get that put on.

Comment

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing once. I was low on cash, and figured it would get me thru the year. Nope.
                    One month later my new o-ring chain was at the end of the adjustment, and dragging on the centerstand. Lesson learned. I replaced the chain and sprockets in April 2007, they're still on there doing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
                      a chain and sprocket are like DNA after just a few miles of use, putting a different chain on old sprockets will kill the chain quick. when changing the chain ALWAYS change the sprockets if you want any kind of life outof the chain.

I’ve never heard of changing the sprockets during every chain replacement. My opinion that’s crazy and a waste of money. Replace your sprockets when they are worn. See your service manual if you’re not sure what excessive wear and normal wear is.

I’m in SOCAL and had commuted to work for years when I was younger. 30,000 miles year. I’d get 8,000 to 15,000 average of 10,000 on an o-ring chain depending how well I took care of it. Sprockets would last 20,000 to 35,000 or more!

My anus might be too relaxed for around here. But in them leaner days dropping $80 on sprockets during every chain replacement would have been hard and just not needed.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
                        I’ve never heard of changing the sprockets during every chain replacement. My opinion that’s crazy and a waste of money. Replace your sprockets when they are worn. See your service manual if you’re not sure what excessive wear and normal wear is.

I’m in SOCAL and had commuted to work for years when I was younger. 30,000 miles year. I’d get 8,000 to 15,000 average of 10,000 on an o-ring chain depending how well I took care of it. Sprockets would last 20,000 to 35,000 or more!

My anus might be too relaxed for around here. But in them leaner days dropping $80 on sprockets during every chain replacement would have been hard and just not needed.

Mark
                        Your chain life seems a little low, I got 25,000 miles off my last chain and sprockets. Both the chain an sprockets were totally shot. Perhaps if you were only getting 10,000 or so on a chain and had some really tough sprockets they wouldn't be worn too bad.

Comment

I purchased my GS1000 new and took good care of the chain, and yes, I rode in the rain quite a bit (rusted my swingarm bearings solid, lol). The original chain and sprockets lasted 44,000 miles (EK o-ring?). The chain and sprockets definitely match up, since the sprocket shortens it's pitch while wearing in. The sprockets are a fraction of what the chain costs, and so the math favors that route too. The oem suzuki front sprocket is the bomb too, with the rubber shoulder to relieve stress. Cheap chains (non o-ring) wear very quickly. There is also an expensive high tension chain made for drag racing that wears very quickly on the street, so be careful not to think that money will guarantee longevity.

Comment

Cheapie!

I don't think the problem resulted from your sprockets (although it certainly could have). I think the dealer sold you a cheap chain. There's a huge difference between a cheap roller-bearing chain and a good, sealed "O" ring chain (such as RK).

Back 'many moons ago' when I was in college (and quite poor), I used to put cheap, "buy it by the foot" chains on my Sportster and they would wear out unbelievably fast.

It's really hard to see if some things are worn out; with sprockets, it's easy. All you've got to do is take a good look at them.
                            Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-18-2008, 12:12 PM.
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                              I don't think the problem resulted from your sprockets (although it certainly could have). I think the dealer sold you a cheap chain. There's a huge difference between a cheap roller-bearing chain and a good, sealed "O" ring chain (such as RK).

Back 'many moons ago' when I was in college (and quite poor), I used to put cheap, "buy it by the foot" chains on my Sportster and they would wear out unbelievably fast.

It's really hard to see if some things are worn out; with sprockets, it's easy. All you've got to do is take a good look at them.
                              I did that too and bought a chain a season. No savings there.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X