Did I waste my money on a new chain???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
    LOL, the kind of mileage some of you guys are getting out of your chains suggests I’m just hammering my chains. Guess that’s why my chain to sprocket ratio is so high. Ignorance is bliss.

Seeing how we are on the subject, what are some good lube recommendations and chain cleaning methods?

Mark

well at least you have a decent name,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
      well at least you have a decent name,

Mark.

Don’t you just love a backhanded compliment?

You may have cooked too many chains.

Mark

Comment

Pardon my ignorance on chains but my 1980 GS1100ET is the first chain drive bike I've owned since I was a teenager in the 70's. I was still rebuilding this bike when I bought a new 630 EK non O-ring chain and new sprockets.

This chain is stretching close to 1 inch every 500 miles. Is that normal ? I've got about 1200 miles on it now. Seems like a lot to me and at this rate, it's not going to last anywhere near 10K miles. I was hoping for something closer to 15K-20K out of it. I should add that I keep it adjusted at 1.5 inch total movement.

And on that note, how hard is the 530 conversion?

Thanks.

Comment

Is that freeplay with someone sitting on the bike? If not, STOP TIGHTENING IT UP!
          A new chain will not wear that much that fast if it is an oring chain and it is not too tight. After you install a new chain and have the freeplay properly adjusted with someone sitting on the bike the chain will "wear in" and find its happy length. After this if you lube it regularly, you really shouldn't have to touch the adjusters except at oil changes and sometimes not even then.
          Check the freeplay it has worn to with someone sitting on the bike. It will probably be in the 1-1.5" range, leave it at that play. Because once you put it up on the centre stand it will show more play. Don't tighten it. Clean and lube it and don't adjust it till your next oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
            Pardon my ignorance on chains but my 1980 GS1100ET is the first chain drive bike I've owned since I was a teenager in the 70's. I was still rebuilding this bike when I bought a new 630 EK non O-ring chain and new sprockets.

This chain is stretching close to 1 inch every 500 miles. Is that normal ? I've got about 1200 miles on it now. Seems like a lot to me and at this rate, it's not going to last anywhere near 10K miles. I was hoping for something closer to 15K-20K out of it. I should add that I keep it adjusted at 1.5 inch total movement.

And on that note, how hard is the 530 conversion?

Thanks.
            Non-ring chains don't last as long.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
              Is that freeplay with someone sitting on the bike? If not, STOP TIGHTENING IT UP!
              A new chain will not wear that much that fast if it is an oring chain and it is not too tight. After you install a new chain and have the freeplay properly adjusted with someone sitting on the bike the chain will "wear in" and find its happy length. After this if you lube it regularly, you really shouldn't have to touch the adjusters except at oil changes and sometimes not even then.
              Check the freeplay it has worn to with someone sitting on the bike. It will probably be in the 1-1.5" range, leave it at that play. Because once you put it up on the centre stand it will show more play. Don't tighten it. Clean and lube it and don't adjust it till your next oil change.
              Uhhh, nope. Didn't know someone was supposed to be sitting on it when I checked the free play. I'll do that today. Had the wife sit on the passenger seat to elevate the front wheel for steering stem adjustment just last week. I don't have a garage so I'm sure the neighbors will start to wonder what the heck we're up to.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
              X