Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GK left me walkin in the rain!!

:x @$!%#$@#!!!
    On my way home from work tonight (in the rain ) my bike decided to quit on me.Almost acted a bit like it was running out of gas.It fired up and quit a couple times after that,never ran any more than a couple minutes.I pushed it up (hill) on the (gravel) road to an aquaintances garage.Got it inside,and after a few minutes it fired up.Idles great,revved up to 6-7k rpm,ran smooth,no missing backfiring,etc.Then it just died again.Anyways,long story short(er),found out it had no spark when it quit.Spark came back again,ran great for about 5 mins,then died again,wont start,no spark on any cylinder.12v on coil primary.Didnt have any other tools with me,will go at it again tomorrow after work.Did a search and got some ideas...Check ground to mounting plate for electronics,check connection on all fuses,test ignitor,and test coils.Dampness seems to have been a factor,as it hasnt even hiccupped in 1000km so far this yr.Had new Dyna coils 2 yrs ago.When they went bad,I lost 1 or 2 cylinders in the rain,but at least it got me home....
    So, I have no spark on any cyl,12 v at coils,cranks over great,sometimes fires up an runs great,then just quits.I suppose it could even be failing from heat,and the rain is a coincidence..
    Any ideas would be appreciated...
    TIA
    Steve

I would go over all the connections, including the fuses and also inspect the wiring for the ignition circut, sounds like a short somewhere, also start (or try to start) with it totaly dark around the bike and watch for leakage on the high tension wires, (plug wires) the rain may be shorting the wires out, if the wires are bad and leaking, you will see flashes in the plug wires.

Comment

I have seen in a previous post that sometimes when its raining and the bike sputters and dies the problem is the kill switch. The poster said he disconnected the kill switch and the bike ran fine in the wet from then on. I hope you find the problem quickly and get back to riding.

Comment

I strongly advise anyone against disconnecting the kill switch. You could find a situation where you need to shut it down immediately and it may not be possible to reach for the ignition key.

Earl

Originally posted by Mastiff
        I have seen in a previous post that sometimes when its raining and the bike sputters and dies the problem is the kill switch. The poster said he disconnected the kill switch and the bike ran fine in the wet from then on. I hope you find the problem quickly and get back to riding.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I strongly advise anyone against disconnecting the kill switch. You could find a situation where you need to shut it down immediately and it may not be possible to reach for the ignition key.

Earl
          been there done that, high siding is not fun, the kill switch was the only thing I could reach once I dragged myself to the bike, laying on its side screaming, throttle stuck half open.

Comment

OK, if I have the problem I won't disconnect the kill switch. I assume the problem he had was water getting into the switch. He said the guy in the wrecking yard had told him about this fix, after he had sold him new coils and other electrical stuff. I suppose a better way is trying to get a new switch if you discover this is the problem.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys!
              I will definitely try disconnecting the kill switch,at least until I get the bike home...
              Well,I'm off to work,I'll post again when I get home .Thanks again!
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X