Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Wont Catch After Maintenance

Hi,

I'm new to this forum (although I have read info here for some time) because I now have my own sob story and need help.

My motorcycle is a 1979 GS850N which I recently purchased. It had a leaky head gasket and was running rough. Did my usual- bought a Clymer's manual for maintenance info and put it to use to work on the above issues.

Took the engine apart down to the head gasket, replaced the gaskets there and worked my way back up. Reassembled the cams as instructed in Clymer's (engine to TDC, exhaust cam arrow 1 pointing correctly, got the correct number of chain links from exhaust cam arrow 2 to intake cam arrow 3 and the tensioners right) so don't think my problem is there.

For the bikes poor running I tore apart the carbs, cleaned them and reassembled with new gaskets and float valves.

After all of this the bike does less than it did before- now it won't even start!

I've done the troubleshooting to find that the plugs are sparking and that the fuel petcock is operating correctly.

What I have found to be odd (especially after cleaning the carbs) is the plugs are dry even though the engine isn't popping. Can the engine possibly not be getting fuel after this work was done? Don't know how this could be but it also seems to be the only answer.

I am getting very frustrated at this and am considering finding a mechanic to get the bike running for me even though I don't want to spend that much more money. Plus, even though I am a novice at this, I have good mechanical skills and my pride wants me to see this project through.

Does anyone out there have some advice? I would appreciate it VERY MUCH!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2008, 03:26 AM.

Plugs dry means that SOMEWHERE its not getting fuel. You've cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, setting everything to spec as per the cleaning tutorial? Check your petcock for flow. WOuld help to have a clear fuel line, but if you unhook the fuel line from the carbs, and turn the petcock on PRIME, fuel should flow freely from it. If its not, replace it, dont rebuild it. The rebuild kits are crap, and you'll only have to replace the petcock once every 15 years or so...oppps see youve already checked the petcock. Hrmm...set the float levels correctly? Install your vaccum line to the petcock? Pull one of the float bowl drain screws. Fuel in the bowls?

Comment

Don't give up, you have done the hard part. Check the petcock operation make sure the vacuum to the petcock is hooked up to the #3 carb. CHeck bikecliff's web site for a picture diagram

Comment

Have you tried a little fuel in the plugholes before trying to start? If you open the float bowl drain screw on each carb does a lot of fuel come out?

Comment

I did all of the carb work per the manual. Nothing was complicated because touching the adjustable jets and valves was said to be a big no-no.

As for the petcock- fuel does flow freely when set to prime and it also flows/responds correctly when it receives vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Have you tried a little fuel in the plugholes before trying to start? If you open the float bowl drain screw on each carb does a lot of fuel come out?
            Haven't tried these yet but definitely will- they sound like good ways to check for fuel flow.

Forgot to mention earlier that I also tried getting it to fire using starter fluid. The engine didn't respond at all. Now doesn't that really take the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by MNGATOR View Post
              For the bikes poor running I tore apart the carbs, cleaned them and reassembled with new gaskets and float valves.
              Originally posted by MNGATOR View Post
              I did all of the carb work per the manual. Nothing was complicated because touching the adjustable jets and valves was said to be a big no-no.
              OK, I am a little confused here. You tore them apart and cleaned them, but did not touch the adjustable jets? The adjustable jets are probably the most critical parts to clean, and they have o-rings behind them that might have gotten damaged by carb cleaner.

Cleaning process: how did you do it? Did you just spray some cleaner at what you could see, or did you dip the carbs? Dipping is far better, especially for cleaning lots of gunk, but it really destroys o-rings.

Adjustable jets: where are they set? Part of every carb refreshing is setting them up to run correctly. With new o-rings, try setting the fuel screw (on the bottom) 1 turn out from lightly seated, and the air screw (on the side) about 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated. This should get you close enough to be able to start the bike. After it warms up, you can do the fine-tuning.

Valves: I know you said you just went through the top end, but did not specifically mention a valve check/adjustment. Did you just put the shims back where you found them or did you actually check them and make necessary adjustments?

Fuel: you mentioned that the petcock works properly, but after doing carb work and when the float bowls are dry, move the petcock to the PRIME position for a minute or so, then set the choke and start the bike.

Let us know if any of this helps.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The engine should fire with starting fluid. Sounds like a spark problem. Did you disconnect the coils and forget to reconnect? Are the plug wires going to the proper plugs? Have u checked for spark?

Comment

My guess is that you don't have the cams in correctly. To test this, have someone hit the starter button while you hold your hand over a carb opening. If it doesn't try to suck your hand in, the cams are in wrong! Ray.

Comment

What are the results of your compression test?
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      My guess is that you don't have the cams in correctly. To test this, have someone hit the starter button while you hold your hand over a carb opening. If it doesn't try to suck your hand in, the cams are in wrong! Ray.
                      This is the one thing that I have deliberately not wanted to consider because the amount of work necessary to go back and fix it would be so great.! Don't know how I could have them in wrong because the critical step is getting the exhaust cam arrow #1 pointed correctly and am nearly certain that it is. Yeah, I know, I said nearly.

The next time that I have time to work on it I plan to check for fuel flow and will now check for cylinder vacuum through the carbs, too. Promise to post what I learn at that time.

On the side- I'd like to express how much I appreciate the advice everyone has volunteered. This is a great site, for a great series of old bikes that have a great bunch of owners!
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2008, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Stop in at Hoppers and tell Dan or Paul that they need to buy you a round for all the troubles that you've been having!

Comment

Ok, my latest update- today I unscrewed the float bowl drain screws to find that there is fuel in them. The fuel lines are doing their job.

Also, I removed the air filter box to check for suction through the carbs from cylinder action. There was suction. There was also some air pushed back out of the carbs. Is this normal? My intuition (again, I'm a novice) is that there should be no air being pushed back through the carbs.

Comment

Assuming that you are getting spark and you did put some fuel in the cylinders and still nothing. I would pull the tappet cover and the plugs and check that the valves are closed when piston is at top dead centre, just to confirm that nothing went wrong when you replaced the cams. Recheck the clearances just in case.

Comment

call a shop and verify the cam specs and reinstall steps... I've found that the Clymer's manuals are not always the most reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X