Newbie with no fuse box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with no fuse box

Awesome site!! I have learned so much in the last week. Just bought a 1978 GS750. Trying to read and learn as much as I can. Just ordered a service manual. Working thru some electrical issues. I have the charging issue. I need to do some more tests.

I can't find the fuse box. Looked right near the R/R stuff and I can't find it. Maybe someone else removed it? Trying to fix brake lights and turn signals. I am thinking of ordering a new main wire harness. I would like to fix this up as much as possible.

Also on the brakes I need new back pads. Rotor has some hot spots. I noticed that they are expensive compared to most cars I deal with. Can they be turned? I hope to find the right thickness in the service manual.

Thanks so much for the insights.

David
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Some of the earlier bikes have a single fuse. Yours might be one of them.

"Hot spots" on the rotor might indicate that it is warped. They can not be turned like a car's rotors, but there is a grinding process that can be used if they are above the minimum thickness (which should be stamped on the rotor somewhere).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Some of the earlier bikes have a single fuse. Yours might be one of them.

"Hot spots" on the rotor might indicate that it is warped. They can not be turned like a car's rotors, but there is a grinding process that can be used if they are above the minimum thickness (which should be stamped on the rotor somewhere).

Very possible. I think somewhere in mid-model year 78, they started putting the fuse block on the 750s, but by 79 they all had them im pretty sure. My 77 has a single main fuse...BIG suggestion for you, to save you HOURS of frustration later. ELIMINATE the glass tube type fuse, go to your local autoparts store, get a blade type and a blade type fuse holder, and install that in its place. After a while, the glass holder, which uses that spring steel holder clip garbage, starts to get loose, and no amount of trying to crimp it back together will get it tight enough. I had an intermitant open right there, and it drove me and a buddy NUTS for a couple hours looking for it, because when we would touch the meter to it to test it, that lil bit of pressure would close the circuit. Man i was angry that night.....

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will look for the single fuse and the rotor info.
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Very possible. I think somewhere in mid-model year 78, they started putting the fuse block on the 750s, but by 79 they all had them im pretty sure. My 77 has a single main fuse...BIG suggestion for you, to save you HOURS of frustration later. ELIMINATE the glass tube type fuse, go to your local autoparts store, get a blade type and a blade type fuse holder, and install that in its place. After a while, the glass holder, which uses that spring steel holder clip garbage, starts to get loose, and no amount of trying to crimp it back together will get it tight enough. I had an intermitant open right there, and it drove me and a buddy NUTS for a couple hours looking for it, because when we would touch the meter to it to test it, that lil bit of pressure would close the circuit. Man i was angry that night.....

I will look for the glass type fuse but I don't remember seeing it. Might have already been changed. I have a lot to learn but I like the process.

David
          David
          1998 Suzuki Bandit
          1978 GS1000 - gone
          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
            I will look for the glass type fuse but I don't remember seeing it. Might have already been changed. I have a lot to learn but I like the process.

David
            There is a little clip mount to hold the fuse holder, it is in front of the starter solenoid, two little prongs. The holders seem to be gone usually. I just put shrink tubing around the fuse and it's wires, and tie wrap it in place as a temp fix until I can get around to putting a fuse block in with separate fuses for different circuits like the later bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              There is a little clip mount to hold the fuse holder, it is in front of the starter solenoid, two little prongs. The holders seem to be gone usually. I just put shrink tubing around the fuse and it's wires, and tie wrap it in place as a temp fix until I can get around to putting a fuse block in with separate fuses for different circuits like the later bikes.
              Just got home and looked and I don't even see a fuse anywhere other than the main fuse the guy added before me going to the battery for the dynatek system.

I need to take some pics and stare at the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info.

Any brake recommendations? I need to search this...
              David
              1998 Suzuki Bandit
              1978 GS1000 - gone
              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
              X