fork splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork splitting

Hi All. Any Tips On Splitting The Fork Legs. Internals Are Rotating When Allen Bolt Is Turned In Lower Leg. Bike Is Gs1000s, I've Tried Various Sized Bolts Down The Tube But They Do Not Seem To Locate In Anything? As Per Manual..

Thanks

the easiest solution is to clamp the upper tube back into the triple tree from whence it came - that will hold the tube still while you work the bolt. If it is THAT tight, you are probably going to need the use of an impact driver to break it loose.............................getting forks apart can be a real bear sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by jyjet View Post
      Hi All. Any Tips On Splitting The Fork Legs. Internals Are Rotating When Allen Bolt Is Turned In Lower Leg. Bike Is Gs1000s, I've Tried Various Sized Bolts Down The Tube But They Do Not Seem To Locate In Anything? As Per Manual..

Thanks
      Been there got the Tshirt All yer need is a19mm bolt 2 nuts to fit and along extension bar and hey presto.

Comment

fork tool

Sounds like Mr. Jyjet said the "internals" were rotating, in which case he'll have to use a fork tool to hold the damper before anything, even an impact driver, will break the allen bolt loose. I made a tool per the instructions in one of the posts here which I don't have time to search for at the moment. Try searching for "fork tool". All it is is some threaded rod and four standard SAE nuts (not metric). I THINK they are 11/16in. nuts but cannot remember for sure. If you are in SoCal you can use the tool I made, or tomorrow night I'll be home and can put a wrench on the nuts and let you know for sure what size works.

Comment

Sometimes you can get lucky with a broom handle - try poking that down inside before making up a 19mm bolt / 2 nut set up.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Its a 3/4" or you can use the hex end of a 5/8 spark plug socket & extensions

Comment

thanks for all info, broom handle did the trick. jim..

Comment

Originally posted by jyjet View Post
                thanks for all info, broom handle did the trick. jim..
                it is not likely that a broom handle will do it once you need to torque that bolt up
                you do not want to have that bolt loosen up so it would pay to make the proper tool in question - either a 19mm or 3/4" is the size of a hex shape you need to locate into the forks
                you can use a long bolt with two nuts at the other end or a threaded rod with two nuts at each end (tightened against each other so you end up with a "solid" tool that you can put a wrebch socket on on one side and locate the other side into the socket in the forks)
                GS850GT

Comment

fork internals

Back Again Folks, Now Have Internals Out , The Left Leg Has 2 Springs In It, A Long And A Short One? The Right Leg Has Only One, Is This Normal, Moded Or Performance Upgrade?

Thanks Jim..

Comment

Sounds like someone has bodged it in the past. You should have one spring, approx. 350mm long on an S but check the manual on BassCliff's site for the exact measurement (note the S has a different length to the E + oil levels are different).

Should also be a spacer - around 3/4 inch diameter pipe with a split down one side and around 4inches long + a spring cap.

Sounds like it's time to buy some progressive springs to sort your problem out.

Try the broom handle when re fitting. Usually the damper tube 'bite's when you start to tighten up and holds on its own so you can torque to your heart's content.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                      ... it would pay to make the proper tool in question - either a 19mm or 3/4" is the size of a hex shape you need to locate into the forks
                      you can use a long bolt with two nuts at the other end or a threaded rod with two nuts at each end (tightened against each other so you end up with a "solid" tool that you can put a wrebch socket on on one side and locate the other side into the socket in the forks)
                      Here is what I made up for some forks I did a couple of years ago. You have already found that the broom handle might help you get it out, then you can get measurements to fit the proper hardware and make your own version. Take the internal tube with you to the hardware store to see what nuts will fit without turning, then get the threaded rod to match.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

fork splitting

Thanks For All The Info, Forks Now Dismantled And Sent For Re-chroming And Polishing, + New Parts To Refurbish To As New.

Comment

Working...
                        X