80 gs750E tscc or 82 gs850L shafty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs750E tscc or 82 gs850L shafty

Quick question, but first a tiny bit of history. Here is how it goes I have both above bikes, neither running, both probably same prob, carb rebuilds, both about same mileage around 13000, both very good shape, Which one is better bike in your opinion and which one should I try to get running first. basically which is better bike and engine. 8v vs 16v etc. I am asking because I have limited time to work on because of wife have to work on here and there and which should I devote my efforts toward. and please dont base it on looks, I like looks of both and barely lean toward one on looks. I hope you guys will be interested enough to comment on this and I hope this question is not stupid and I hope it does not stir controversy. Thanks to all who read and comment!

First question is 'what kinda ridin' you goin' to do'?

Comment

Hey, another new one just stumbled in, BassCliff!!

Buckeyemike, do you have pics?
      I would probably vote for the 750E.

Comment

750 why?

no pics currently on computer but could prob arrange something soon. how I am going to drive it who knows probably just once in a while for short road trips or just to the store. Is 16v more responsive then 8 and if so by how much?

Comment

K...my opinion on the subject.

The 750 is a sport bike. It was designed to be a sport bike. Its geared that way. Does it make a good daily rider? Sure. Is it comfy? Pretty. Geared for long road trips/workhorse type bike? Not really. And *I* have a particular hatered for that model of 750. But thats just me

The 850, as has been said on here many times, is GOOD at everything, but not particularly GREAT at any one thing. Its a workhorse tho, and its probably THE single most comfy GS there is. Its heavy, its bulky, and its arguably underpowered for its weight. But the 8v motor is RELIABLE as no other. Neigh, its BULLETPROOF. the 16v 750 motor? Not so much. I would venture to guess especially the first run of the 16v set up. There were bugs that needed to be addressed, and they DO rear their heads from time to time. Im not saying they are all bad, but I have a blown up one sitting downstairs, and there have been a couple people of the board here who have had SEVERE oil delivery problems with this motor. Seems to be a running issue. Just some things to be aware of in your considerations. Were it me? I'd opt for the 850. Its, IMO, bigger, more durable, and frankly a prettier bike. But, thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            K...my opinion on the subject.

The 750 is a sport bike. It was designed to be a sport bike. Its geared that way. Does it make a good daily rider? Sure. Is it comfy? Pretty. Geared for long road trips/workhorse type bike? Not really. And *I* have a particular hatered for that model of 750. But thats just me

The 850, as has been said on here many times, is GOOD at everything, but not particularly GREAT at any one thing. Its a workhorse tho, and its probably THE single most comfy GS there is. Its heavy, its bulky, and its arguably underpowered for its weight. But the 8v motor is RELIABLE as no other. Neigh, its BULLETPROOF. the 16v 750 motor? Not so much. I would venture to guess especially the first run of the 16v set up. There were bugs that needed to be addressed, and they DO rear their heads from time to time. Im not saying they are all bad, but I have a blown up one sitting downstairs, and there have been a couple people of the board here who have had SEVERE oil delivery problems with this motor. Seems to be a running issue. Just some things to be aware of in your considerations. Were it me? I'd opt for the 850. Its, IMO, bigger, more durable, and frankly a prettier bike. But, thats just me.
            What he said. I happen to have a 1980 GS 850 myself. It is not the bike for everybody.

Comment

I am a 16 valve guy all the way. If you get the 750 & want to go faster after you get used to it, the 16 valve 1100 & 1150 motors bolt right in. The 750, being a "plain" bearing type crank did have oiling issues. I used to roadrace one in the mid 80s & lost 2 motors to spun bearings. I have NEVER had a roller bearing crank motor fail. I did RACE the 750 but I was also a Suzuki dealer mechanic & saw other failures also. My motors were stock with just exhaust & jetting. Which ever way you go you WILL have fun! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
                Quick question, but first a tiny bit of history. Here is how it goes I have both above bikes, neither running, both probably same prob, carb rebuilds, both about same mileage around 13000, both very good shape, Which one is better bike in your opinion and which one should I try to get running first. basically which is better bike and engine. 8v vs 16v etc.
                I am the second owner of an 81 750E. Had 19k when I got it and I've put 11k on it in the last three years. It has been bulletproof and always gotten me home even with carb and electric "issues". Took it on a 600 mile trip last month with no problems.

I would only offer these thoughts. A chain is easy to find and replace. Some day when the gears go out you might have issues finding them. BUT, that said you indicated only occassional pleasure riding, so probably not an issue for you. Just get AAA plus with 100 mile towing.

I would suggest draining and flushing the carb bowls on both bikes using the Prime setting with new gas until the crude is gone. Put a filter inline at least until you are sure the tank is clean.

I would remove all plugs and do a compression test on all cylinders WOT. Test each plug while out for spark. If they are in spec then:

I would then attempt to get both engines running at some level. The one that runs best is the one to start with. Ignition components and charging systems can get expensive.

No point in spending anymore than you have to. For instance, if the chain and sprockets are shot on the 750 you might as well start with the shafty and save that $250 in parts right up front.

Realistically these old bikes are pretty bulletproof as mine still has the original stock ignition system and runs like a rocket on 89 octane gas.

That's my 2 cents and I'm envious that you get to make a choice It's hard to find these bikes anymore in good condition.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I'd agree with a the gist of what has been said. I've never ridden one of the 16 valve 750's, but from the way it sounds, probably a slightly more "fun" bike, but with a few more gremlins to worry about. The 850G (I have a 1000G whch is the EXACT same bike with a slightly bigger engine) Is heavy, slightly underpowered, but the most comfy ride ever, and you could probably pee down the spark plug holes then run it without oil and you'd only do superficial repairable damage to the engine.

Comment

16 valve all the way. To me a motorcycle is a sport toy that must have solid performance and handling. I ride em fast and enjoy it. TCK got it right, if you want a sporty bike, go with the 16V, it will be sharper in every way. If you want a more relaxed ride go with the 8V. Either way, you are riding and both are great classic bikes. Just different in their intent and performance.

Mark

Comment

No brainer, ride the one that isn't an "L".
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        No brainer, ride the one that isn't an "L".
                        Well, yeah, there is that. Not an "L" fan.

Comment

Eight different responders, all have remarkably the same thing to say. Each bike is a good bike, but with a different focus. I happen to have an 850L and an 850G here, but no 16-valve 750, so I can't tell you how they ride, but for my riding style, either of these bikes will do very well. As Rat44 asked first off, 'what kinda ridin' you goin' to do'? If you are a wanna-be street racer, go for the 750. If you want an all-around competent machine, go for the 850 (even though it is an L model). Some of the guys here absolutely detest the L for its styling and ergonomics, but much of that can be changed, if you find that it does not suit you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 1980-1982 is an excellent do-everything type of machine. Fast, smooth, and comfortable, with a gas tank big enough to get you about 200 miles between fillups.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                              16 valve all the way. To me a motorcycle is a sport toy that must have solid performance and handling. I ride em fast and enjoy it. TCK got it right, if you want a sporty bike, go with the 16V, it will be sharper in every way. If you want a more relaxed ride go with the 8V. Either way, you are riding and both are great classic bikes. Just different in their intent and performance.

Mark
                              Well thats NOT exactly what i meant. My 1100 8v is pretty damn sneaky fast. And I'll take the Pepsi challenge vs an original (80-82) 16v 750 on my 8v 750 any day of the week. He may be rated for more hp, but they arent the motor they became later on.... At any rate, they are both good bikes, i prefer the roller bearing crank, which NONE of the 16v 750s had as far as I know. Now I'd LOVE to have a 16v 1100 And will soon, i promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X