7/10 Swap, Engine Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7/10 Swap, Engine Mounting

I bought this bike a few weeks ago and am trying to get it started. It is an 81 GS750 w/ a 997cc motor. Is there something wrong with the mounting on the bottom? the hole is threaded.

Its literally just sitting on the frame. It is mounted on the front and rear though. Is this normal??
    Thanks

What does the other side look like? Maybe somethings bent, or all together wrong motor mounts for this swap. I thought a couple new mounts nee to be made for this swap?

I'm interested in seeing what others thoughts are though because I'll be doing this swap down the road.

Comment

no, not normal
      yes, something is wrong

theres normally a triangular bracket there but with the 750-1100 swap the bracket has to be re-fabricated
      however, the engine doesnt seem to be sitting correctly in the frame - shoul be a bit higher and away from the frame in that spot
      perhaps the weight of the engine has bent the other brackets out of alignment since itsnot suported in that spot

btw, that bike looks like its been in irak, i hope the po gave you some money to take it away :???:
      GS850GT

Comment

ouch! Its alot worse if you look at it it person actually. Ill get some pics of the other mounts.

Comment

just had a look at your other thread about the carbs bent needles, stuck needles... 8O

i dont know much about those carbs but happy to help with any other issue if i can
          GS850GT

Comment

I have an '81 Katana(was 1000) with an 82 750 16V bolted into it, and it fits perfectly in the apparently stock mounts. There should be a corresponding welded-on plate/mount on the opposite side of the frame, that mounts the motor at exactly the opposite side. Clearly, ther's something amiss in your photo.

Comment

Right Rear

Left Middle:

Left Front:

Right Fonrt

Here are some more pics. The motor is sitting on top of both side motor mounts. Shouldnt the front and rear be enough? The frame and everything looks good as far as I can tell. Anybody have any pics of what it should look like. Thanks for all the help, this forum is very helpful.

Comment

have a look here

GS850GT

Comment

when it comes to putting an engine in a frame it doesnt belong in, its hard to tell what will be enough...

it looks like the bottom mounts will not line up without custom brackets..

its going to be up to you, get her running right, and then FEEL the bike... I wouldnt worry about it, but its my skin...

some on here are fanatics and would not ride it without all the stock mounts being bolted to something....

Comment

you are missing the two bottom brackets - those you need to fabricate yourself as the originals wont fit
                    one of the front brackets on your pictures doesnt look right (see schematic)

is it important to have all the mounting points? - think about it... without those two at the botom you are missing 1/3 of all brackets 8O
                    GS850GT

Comment

oh and if you want to sell that old header and pipe, just let me know!!!!

i wouldnt mind having a 4-1 for my 1000

Comment

If that is a 16 valve 750, which it IS if it is an 81, & it has an 8 valve 1000 motor, you WILL have mounting issues. The 16 valve motors go in & out 16 to 16. Try going 16 to 8 or vice versa you get to have more FUN! Ray.

Comment

GOnna be tricky for sure. Ray is right on. The 1000 motor is going to be a lil longer i think. And taller as well. The main mounts (front and back) will likely NOT line up at all, but the lowers MIGHT. If you have any fabbing skills at all, however, it wouldnt be TOO hard to make some brackets to make it work. I dunno tho for sure. If it were me, id hit the scrap yard looking for a 1000 or 750 8v frame with a title.

Comment

Well, this is an old thread - I found it while looking for something else. But I can clear up the issue pretty well I believe.

I'm smack dab in the middle of sticking a 1979 GS1000 8valve engine into a 1980 or 81? GS750.

What I've found is that 3 out of 4 mounting points basically slip right in. But the bottom mounting point you are talking about is different. For this I not only needed to fab my own brackets (fun) but also shave down the bungs or dogs on the frame a bit to get clearance. The frame has not bent or sagged or anything, I haven't even put full engine weight on it - it's just a little different.

I also posted a question about dressing up those fabbed mounts which shows what I had to make. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...416#post998416

Pics tell the story -
                            750 in foreground

Original front brackets. I forget which is which now. I had to force the left front one a little.

Sorry no after the shave pics.

Hope you're still at it or already sorted it out.
                            JC

P.S. I was llooking for Dardoonks rearset thread... any clues?
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X