GS750E wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E wont start

So I'm trying to get my new 83 GS750E started at my friends place so I can ride it home, and its not starting. It started OK the last time, but it was maybe still a little warm or something from running earlier in the day.

Its cranking fine & fast but I've been doing it for a while now and I can tell the battery is getting run down. It seems like its trying to catch, it does a dum-dum once in a while and I got it running once but then it kinda petered out and died. To me (car guy) it seems like a fuel starvation issue maybe? There's a big kink in the hose going from the petcock to the top of the carbs (clear hose)... not sure what that is in relation to the other hoes out the petcock that loops down below.

I'm a GS newb so maybe its something I'm doing wrong. Help!

Skye

One line is gas feed and the other is a vacuum line from carb to open vacuum operated petcock. Did you try it with the lever on PRI(prime)? Wait 20 seconds and then try starting. This would keep the valve open, so don't leave it in this position after shutting engine off if it starts now.
    unkink the line?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I got it running on PRI before I read your message, and forgot to turn it off while the bike was running. I had the choke full out and no throttle, but then after a while when I tried putting a bit of throttle on it died and now it wont start again. Its trying to start with ever turn of the starter, did I flood it?

Also can I just leave the vacuum line disconnected or will that prevent the petcock from running fuel? Can I leave it in PRI while the bike is running?

Thanks.....

Comment

You should be able to leave on PRI while the bike is running.
        Pull spark plugs to see if they are wet and then dry off if flooded and try only 3/4 choke.
        If you're going to disconnect the vacuum line, why not reposition so it doesn't kink?

Comment

Alright I got it running!!! Good enough to get it home anyway on Prime. I would have replaced the vac line (its really short, I think it needs to be quite a bit longer so it wont kink) but I was at my friends place and didn't have any supplies.

I've got lots of 3.5mm ID hi-temp silicone vac hose at home, that I've used on my car. In neon orange no less. I'll go and replace the line in the next couple of days and see if it works better on RUN with that.

My first troubleshooting & fix lol... :grin:

Thanks guys!

-Skye

Comment

Oh yeah, follow up question, how do you get access to the top of the carbs/petcock area?

If you take out the seat and undo those two (15mm?) bolts at the back of the tank does it lift up?

-Skye

Comment

Yes....................
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just a quick update. Replaced the vacuum line today and starts/runs fine again on RUN. On to the next thing, fixing the front brake light contact.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by SNott View Post
                  Just a quick update. Replaced the vacuum line today and starts/runs fine again on RUN.
                  Until today I never knew a Snott And he writes about kinky things too.

Comment

Working...
                  X