Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs1100e rear wheel problem?

What's up gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. When I am cornering and push on the rear brake lever I can feel the rear wheel go down and when I let it go I can feel the wheel try to balance it's self. How do you check for bad rear wheel bearings? I tried to explain it sa best as I could. If there is anyone out there that has had this problem I would appriciate your help very much.

Yhanks, Supavert

bad wheel bearings would be indicated by some play in the wheel when the bike is on the centrestand as you push/pull the wheel forward/backward and side to side
    make sute that the axle nut is properly tightened before checking for any play
    however, i suspect your problem might be related rather to the suspension then to the wheel bearings
    GS850GT

Comment

When you're cornering there's all sorts of things in happening in the realm of physics that I would imagine can explain what you're experiencing. I never brake during cornering. Obviously front braking is a big no-no but some people drag the rear a little. I don't because I don't like the way the bike feels and I'm pretty sure that's what you're experiencing.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
        I never brake during cornering.
        What do you do if something happens requiring you to slow down?
        Like if a dump truck full of rocks pops out of a driveway?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Obviously front braking is a big no-no but some people drag the rear a little.
          Oh ooh, Ive been doing it wrong all these years ? IMHO practice front brake technique every time you ride. Slow ,fast, straight, corners, asphalt, gravel....... It may someday save your life.

Mr. Supavert, I may go with psyguy and the suspension suspicion Are your shocks orig ? Put the Beast on the centerstand and give the rear end a good side to side flex to check the swing arm bearings.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Oh ooh, Ive been doing it wrong all these years ?
            Apparently we all have.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              What do you do if something happens requiring you to slow down?
              Like if a dump truck full of rocks pops out of a driveway?
              Stand it up and stop.

Try braking hard during a corner and see what happens. Actually DON'T. I'm not talking about a little rear brake drag, I'm talking about grabbing the front brake or leaning on the rear. You will crash if you do this without standing up first.

Comment

Stand it up and stop.

Try braking hard during a corner and see what happens. Actually DON'T. I'm not talking about a little rear brake drag, I'm talking about grabbing the front brake or leaning on the rear. You will crash if you do this without standing up first.
                Just luck that I've never fallen from braking then. Or maybe it's my calibrated fingers.
                Sure the harder over you are cornering the less traction you have left to brake with, but there's almost always some traction left. If there's not, you screwed up already unless you are on a race track.

Standing it up to brake in a corner is still braking in a corner.

Part of every new bike or tire change is to learn exactly how much front and rear brakes I can use at different lean angles, wet pavement or dry.

Comment

Gimme a 'brake'

I don't know what I've been doing all these years.....but it seems to work pretty well.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
                    What's up gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. When I am cornering and push on the rear brake lever I can feel the rear wheel go down and when I let it go I can feel the wheel try to balance it's self. How do you check for bad rear wheel bearings? I tried to explain it sa best as I could. If there is anyone out there that has had this problem I would appriciate your help very much.

Yhanks, Supavert
                    What you are describing is the rear squatting due to application of the rear brake (the rear tire is actually RISING and the back end of the bike is dropping). Very common effect that is dependent on rear geometry of your bike. Many bikes are set up to do this to help eliminate a small portion of the front dive that occurs during heavy braking, in the hope of balancing the bike better front to rear.

Soft or worn out suspension will exagerate it noticeably. What shape are your shocks in? If they are original or leaking or simply worn out, then it is time to replace them anyway.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
                      What's up gang?

Yhanks, Supavert
                      When, and it's rare, 'cause I try to do all my braking before I get into the corner, it happens on my 83 1100ed, it lasts less than a second and I put it down to tire pressure/road conditions (including camber/dirt etc.)/ the less than tight screw on the seat (usual cause).
                      The other suggestions re: checking suspension/bearings etc are all valid and should be done anyway along with tire pressure check.
                      Minimize your use of the rear brake, it can destabilize the bike very quickly and practice reducing speed before you hit the corner, throttle on as you exit the apex. Read Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling.

Comment

Working...
                      X